First MB (Board Track Style)

Hey guys! Just signed up for the forums. I decided to do a little photoshoot of my recently completed MB. For this one I really wanted an old style look. I wanted it to look old but not rusted out barn find old. I took a lot of design from the board track bikes, but I wasnt really concerned with making an exact clone of one.

The bike started off as a Firmstrong Bruiser Prestige. The gas tank was pulled out of a motorcycle junkyard here in Boise, which I then sandblasted down and refinished. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

I still need to get my seat back a little bit further, any ideas?

I hope you ejoy!

-Brett

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Nice bike! The white rubber looks great on it. Is that an upgraded air filter or upgraded carb altogether?

Anyway, very nice set up, classy.

Thanks! The air filter I bought at Schucks and is actually made to be a breather for a valve cover on a car. I did some modification to it in order to get it to fit on the existing carb on the bike.

Brett, That is just way cool....gonna be kinda hard to find a board track though, but I bet you've already had way too much fun riding it to worry about that!! Steve

Kool. Your bike proves you can make a nice board track replica with cutting the frame or adding a long, modified exhaust.
A layback seatpost is the easiest solution to moving the seat aft.
I have seen some guys attach the nose of the seat at the seatpost and rig a couple of
shock absorbers between the rear of the seat and the seat stay crossover (where a brake would be mounted).

Last edited:
Brett

ghentcruisers.com has a good laid back seatpost design that would work perfect for your MB. Look under parts > board track seatpost.

Love the bike btw. Did you weld mounts to the tank? What type of tank is it?

Thanks for the tips on the seatpost. I had so many choices when digging through the motorcycle salvage yard. There really were hundreds that would have worked, and probrably 50 that would have looked good. This one I believe had a couple letters left from the word kawasaki, but I could be wrong on that. The inside had a pretty good layer of rust so I put a whole bunch of pebbles in the tank and shook it around a lot. I then filled it full of vinegar and left that sitting for as couple of days. I then installed it with a larger fuel filter right off the tank, and its been purring ever since. Its also a 1.5 gallon tank.

As far as mounting goes, in the front I used an alluminum strap (basically a flattened alluminum rod) which I bent and JB welded under the top tube to hold the front on. In the back I used a ubolt around the existing flange. Tightening the ubolt in the back puts upward pressure on the top tube up front, and holds it in place.

Let me know if you want pics of the mounting situation and I will snap some.

Back