First post, broken 66cc 2 stroke

cloud_2901

Local time
4:54 AM
Hi all, need some help, blew an oil seal and got a wet clutch, that's not good right, I seem to have lost compression and wont start etc, and I can't open the bloody thing...

Took all the screws out but I can't actually open the crankcase, how the **** do you do it? Brute force? Cuz I tried a hammer and block of wood, perhaps I wasn't persuasive enough?

Pretty sure I've just blown the clutch side oil seal, but I may as well do a ring job while I'm at it, done about 2500 km before the motor shat itself, fairly good effort for the price I reckon, but another 2500 would be good :cool:

So yea, if anyone can tell me to either man up and hit it harder or show me the trick to open it, I would be very grateful. Had to take the motor off and actually PEDAL the last 500 kilometres of commuting, it's ****.:cry::cry:

Cheers from Australia

cloud

Hi all, need some help, blew an oil seal and got a wet clutch, that's not good right, I seem to have lost compression and wont start etc, and I can't open the bloody thing...

You don't need to tear down the engine to replace the seals.

Took all the screws out but I can't actually open the crankcase, how the **** do you do it? Brute force? Cuz I tried a hammer and block of wood, perhaps I wasn't persuasive enough?

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Chinese HT breakdown/

Pretty sure I've just blown the clutch side oil seal, but I may as well do a ring job while I'm at it, done about 2500 km before the motor shat itself, fairly good effort for the price I reckon, but another 2500 would be good :cool:

With the clutch off spray clean the parts with brake cleaner, but don't forget to re grease the clutch bearings,

So yea, if anyone can tell me to either man up and hit it harder or show me the trick to open it, I would be very grateful. Had to take the motor off and actually PEDAL the last 500 kilometres of commuting, it's ****.:cry::cry:

Cheers from Australia

cloud

This should take care of what you need. Also look at these....
These are the things that I do, I see that others such as the seals (which I've never had one go bad) mentioned. All these mods or replacements are most likely less then $50.00. Choose what works for you, ignore the rest, but here you have them.

1. Unpack engine
2. Check for any missing parts
3. Remove head
4. Mill head (flat glass and 230 (or finer) grit sand paper. Rub gasket surface to insure it is flat.
5. Tap cylinder stud holes to insure they are taped to the bottom.
6. Discard all studs and nuts.
7. Replace studs with Metric 8.8 (US Grade 5) Replace nuts with locking nuts. 8mm studs are either 1.0 or 1.25 thread, 6mm studs are 1.0 thread. 8mmX1.0 is not common, but I have 1 engine with them.
8. Replace spark plug with a NGK or the like.
9. Replace spark plug wire and boot (check with lawnmower supply) or rob from old lawnmower. Use wire core lead.
10. Mount the engine properly, no gaps between the bike tubes and engine mounts.
11. Torque 8mm to 150 to 200 INCH POUNDS
12. Torque 6mm to 60-70 INCH POUNDS
13. I install cylinder studs with lock tite, and let set overnight
14. I coat the head gasket with Copper Kote
15. May need to bend exhaust pipe for crank or frame clearance. Recommend using heat.
16. Remove or cap magneto white wire off.
17. Re solder blue wire on magneto.
18. Make sure all wires have a good connection and use tape or better yet shrink wrap.
19. Hook up kill wires AFTER you get engine running.
20. Try not to drill holes in the bike frame.
21. Do away with the clutch cable routing; there are a number of options.
22. On my kit the rag joint had gauge (Metric) 8.8 bolts, If not replace them. I replaced the nuts with lock nuts.
23. I sealed the wires coming from the magneto out of the engine with RTV.
24. Never had a axle bend on me.

Please move to the proper forum, I'll post pictures.

Nuff said. The intro forum is so that we will all learn a little about you. Any Tech questions should be addressed in the proper forum after you introduced yourself. It makes it easier for the next person to access the info.......unless you would like someone to show up on your door step and start asking you questions without introducing themselves............................

Last edited:
Apologies for jumping the gun, tried to post in the other forum and got told to head here for first post, so thought I'd put it straight out there.

Hey at least you learnt I'm impatient!

Back