Clutch First post, regarding clutch operation

D

ducky

Hi all, this is my first post. I plan to get an 80cc motor for my mountain bike by the end of this week and I just have a question about the operation of the clutch - is it like a motorcycle, as in, let out slowly to engage, hold in to have it in neutral? Thanks!

hi, ducky. yes, it's just like that. :) BUT...you dont engage the clutch to get moving from a standstill like a motorcycle. if you do, you'll burn up your clutch :( . You'll need to pedal a few cranks to get some forward momentum, then release the clutch. Unlike motorcycles, because they have a nuetral gear, these clutch levers come with a push-pin, that allows the bike motor to stay running without having to hold the lever in by hand. Just pull in lever, and push down on the pin.(some kits have a different set-up, but you'll figure it out) to release, simply pull lever in all the way, and the pin will release itself.
1152_lever_1.jpg

over the roar of applause, i bow humbly and say 'thank you, thank you' :LOL:

p.s.- the scar on my index finger is from a weiner dog named Hymie

spunout said:
hi, ducky. yes, it's just like that. :) BUT...you dont engage the clutch to get moving from a standstill like a motorcycle. if you do, you'll burn up your clutch :( . You'll need to pedal a few cranks to get some forward momentum, then release the clutch. Unlike motorcycles, because they have a nuetral gear, these clutch levers come with a push-pin, that allows the bike motor to stay running without having to hold the lever in by hand. Just pull in lever, and push down on the pin.(some kits have a different set-up, but you'll figure it out) to release, simply pull lever in all the way, and the pin will release itself.
1152_lever_1.jpg

A little off topic but...SLAYER RULES!!!!

spunout said:
A little off topic but...SLAYER RULES!!!!
Dude, I noticed the Slayer sticker on your handlebars in your first post and thought it was awesome. I myself am not a huge Slayer fan, but I do love Opeth, Megadeth, Symphony X, Amorphis, Lacuna Coil, and many others. Rock on! :cool:

Yes, gentlemen, Slayer does :devilish: rule, but let's try to keep off-topic posts in the Off Topic forum or Private Messages. :p :p (you don't want a verbal spanking from Augi)

Thanks for the welcome augidog!

A WEINER dog named HYMIE?! You must have pissed that thing off pretty good :)

Ahem, anyways...

I guess where I would go from here is, is there any feasible not-too-terribly-expensive way to install a clutch which *can* be used from a standstill? I know I'm probably reaching here but that's just how I am :)

Back