First Post

S

steve2

I am new to motored bikes. I bought a Chinese 80cc before I found this site. Because of what I have read here I have replaced the intake and exhaust studs and gaskets and the mounting studs and used Locktite. Don't know if I should do anything to the head gasket/studs??? I plan on coating the engine with a black ceramic reinforced paint (Black Satin Header Coating) from Caswell. I will make engine temperature measurements before and after painting to see what (if any) improvement there is. I will install the engine on an old hardtail Diamondback mountain bike. I am debating whether to replace the bikes centerpull brakes with linear brakes. Probably will. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Thanks for all your welcomes.
Bikeguy Joe - I intend to take your advice soon!

You might wanna look through the Technical and Mechanical Help section and see if there is anything you missed, seeing as it is your first engine.

Break-in tips, Chain adjustment, spark plug gap info, etc.

I think you should break in the engine in the form it arrived to you. then after it's broken in, paint it. Just my two cents.

I also will be painting my engine soon. :D

Thanks, I will go back through the Technical Forum.
I had been wondering if the paint might affect the break-in. I will take your suggestion. The break-in of these motors seem to be much more delicate than that of a car engine.
I am still struggling with the break-in methodology. I have rebuilt several car engines and during the break-in period you want some wear of the cylinder walls and the rings to mate them correctly. And using synthetic oil during the break-in is a no-no because it prevents the necessary wear. The kit I bought requires synthetic oil during the break-in and this would seem to go against a proper break-in. I am not familiar with 2-cycle engines and the take I get from the Forums is that the chinese engines are so poorly built that any wear of the cylinder walls is a potential problem, even during the break-in period.
I haven't yet decided what to do. Maybe a compromise - 50% synthetic oil??? Maybe a short break-in period with regular 2-cycle oil followed by the rest of the break-in with synthetic???
Maybe I am worrying too much over the insignificant???

Back