First real ride around the neighborhood

Whitewill1412

Local time
11:28 AM
I took the bike out for the first real ride up and down the hills around here. The engine would bog down sometimes when I hit the gas. When it got going it was a beast. I hit 20(according to the phone app speedo) going uphill. If the street was longer it would have gone faster. I was going up some steep hills too. On steep hills it just took a little pedal assist to make it up. This thing is fun. What do you guys think about the sputtering when I hit the throttle? Just because it's not broken in yet? Carb adjustment? It doesn't happen every time, but did happen probably about half the time. When I was moving slowly and idling then pop the clutch and turned the throttle. Seemed like if I revved up a little first then pop the clutch it didn't happen. Maybe this is normal?

Also I got my gas cap to stop leaking. I have 2 different caps. The one that came in the kit was damaged, so the seller promptly sent a replacement. The second one leaked a lot when shaken or tilted. Yesterday I took it off to look at it and the rubber gasket was broken. It wasn't broken the last time I looked at it. So I took the wider gasket from the first cap and swapped it out. Now it doesn't leak at all. Just needed that bigger gasket.

Yesterday I took it off to look at it and the rubber gasket was broken. It wasn't broken the last time I looked at it. So I took the wider gasket from the first cap and swapped it out. Now it doesn't leak at all. Just needed that bigger gasket.
That is the MAJOR weakness of those caps that come with the kit...The rubber is crap and always splits leaving you with a lap full of gas...lol.

Just bite the bullet and buy this Honda Helix replacement cap, It fits our gas tanks perfectly, the rubber is in a different shape and made from a better rubber type component...Once I made the change a couple of years ago I have been quite happy, you will be happier as well...lol.
It's only $7.99

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Sputtering when you first roll on is a sign of either being a tad too rich or lean. The air to fuel ratio usually goes lean for a brief moment when the slide first opens before the fuel is drawn through and equalizes. Either you are rich enough that it stutters after trying to equalize and goes a hair rich, or it's just lean enough that it causes it to cut out briefly until it has enough fuel to ignite.

Likely you need to move the needle 1 notch up or down and it will behave a bit better. Just need to figure out which way to go.

I've read a few posts talking about an o-ring in the carb intake. I didn't recall ever seeing one in there. I just took the carb off to check it and there wasn't one in there. So I put one in. Doesn't seem to be making any noticeable difference.

Some carbs come with o-rings, some don't, seems to be pretty haphazard.
The main thing is to make sure you seat it all the way onto the intake and tighten it enough so it doesn't wiggle, but without cracking anything.
Remember: this is CHEAP metal from China.....

I think I'm gonna lean it up a notch today and see what happens. I'm leaning towards it being too rich over being too lean since I never need the choke to start it.

So I raised the c clip up a notch and took it for a spin. I noticed no difference. It still sputters a lot when going from idle to open throttle. It is real bad before it warms up. It's like it just doesn't want to rev at all. Maybe I'm just using too much oil. For break in how much oil to the gallon of gas should I use? I mixed 3 ounces to a half gallon of gas. Is that too much? I read somewhere that it was a good mixture for breaking it in.

Seems if there's an Oring there it's for a purpose. Is that broken Oring allowing air into the intake after the carb? If it is that's a problem.

Back