First Ride of the Maytag.

I had to reverse the rotation. Friction drive rollers turn backwards to the rotation of the wheel. The belts crossing point learns to play nice together after about 15min of burnishing each other in. Properly aligned a twisted belt lasts a long time.
Yeah that's right the figure 8 reverses the rotation, I missed that LOL

I built an inframe FD very similar to the way this bike is with the extended motor mounts to hold the roller. I used a 79cc HF engine. Cool thing was the engine could be mounted with the cylinder forward like a motorcycle with the recoil on the left. This turned the roller backwards to drive the wheel forward.
Was a good looking bike, like a small motorcycle.

Thanks wrenchin! I used to live in a large subdivision. When I rode my CG bikes thru nobody noticed. When I rode
the other Maytag build people would stop look and wave, even old ladies. Must be the smooth low rpm sound is out of the ordinary. My wife who has little interest in my MB habit will come watch one of the Maytags. They are kind of a time warp machine I guess. I will put up a vid of BudFabs bike.

That is too cool. Sounds like a mini Harley engine idling….the rhythm… To think that engine powered a washing machine…. I can just imagine great grandma fueling and cranking it up.
Ingenious idea to use it as a friction drive on a bicycle.

Love the video - - and the bike! Really well done!
I've always said, it doesn't matter how fast you are going, just how fast it feels.
Thanks! I just got back from a ride. Its pretty cool easing along at 15. A real gentleman's ride. The little engine is amazingly torquey. The Briggs muffler is very quiet. Dont think I turned up the governor on this one. Will check it out. Might get 2k plus out of it, and a breakneck speed close to 20!

Back