First Ride!

rossfree

Local time
12:38 AM
Hi all,

Got my GEBE kit in yesterday and popped it on my bike... Schwinn Clear Creek from Target. I had to remove the rear rack (of course) and the folding baskets that I had added, but the kit went on in about 45 minutes and I was riding last night. The drive ring fit with a whisker's clearance. But clearance is clearance... right??!!!

SWEEEEEEET! :D

This morning I got my "hog" out :cool:, topped off the tank and rode it to work 8 miles one way. I was a little concerned that it might take me thirty minutes or more to get here... but I got here in twenty... the same amount of time it takes me by car! YES!

It takes the hills here in southern New Hampshire just fine... though I have one steep one going back that will likely require my assistance.

I got the 32cc Tanaka 2-Stroke. It starts easily while sitting on or even riding the bike. I just reach around and pull the cord. I added a Cloud-9 seat and mounted a bracket off the engine to support a blinking (or solid-on) tail light. I also added a small headlight and rear-view mirror.

To Do List:

The kick stand doesn't cut it. It didn't work very well before I added the engine... now it won't hold the bike up at all. New kick stand soon!

I want those folding baskets back. Those things are sweet! Have to figure a good way to mount them on the motor brackets.

I have new fenders but have not yet put them on. Likely four more holes to drill and tap in the motor mount brackets.

I don't have the belt cover on. But I need something. Frankly... I think the cover they added to the kit could use something in the "style" department. I work where we thermoform plastic... I may design one and make it out of clear lexan or something. I'd like to be able to see the belt pulley. No rush.

And lastly the motor mount brackets themselves. I want to mount them so that I don't have them to worry with when I remove the tire for service. Others have re-mounted theirs... I'll be doing the same.

Is it time to go home yet!!!!???

It was a fun ride in to work. I'm a big guy (260lbs) and it got me here just fine. It was a brisk 60 degrees F this morning and I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Much cooler than that and I'd have been a popsicle. Still... I loved it!

As far as I know, I'm the only one in the area that has converted his bike into a Moped. I have to get it registered on the return trip... a whopping $3! :eek: Oh my! Gonna print up some cards to hand out for those that want more information. I know the questions are comming.

I'll upload pictures soon.

Happy Trails!!!

Ross

Nice. There are a few others in NH who have registered as mopeds. However everybody who speaks to the DMV gets a different story and different requirements for their bikes. I had to give them my serial number and specs of the bike, $3. Another dude had to get a vin assigned, $32. And another member was told as long as it still pedals and operates as a bicycle all you have to do is follow bicycle laws. Check out the laws and regulations forum on NH, it seems our registry and cops have no idea what the legal status of these machines are. This is good news and bad. I rode a stingray XL chopper for about 3 years in my hick town without anything other than waves and smiles from the local PD. I just registered my new MB because I wanted to take it wherever and didn't want the possibility of a jerk cop harassing me because he had no real crime to prevent.
Glad to hear theres yet another NewHampshirite on a motored bike. We're gonna all have to start a rally soon :) Eat your heart out laconia!

Was hoping I'd hear from you SirJakesus,

I'll call the local somersworth registration office and see what they say. The government always wants more money... they'll figure out how to get it somehow. :-/ I swear I think they make some of this stuff up on the spot.

I'll post back to let you know how it goes.

I look forward to getting together on our "hogs"! Ha!

Ross

dang, that was fun to read :)

i'd sure like to have a gander at your belt-cover when you give it a try...are you considering providing easier access to gear-changes? that would be a sweet innovation to an already sweet setup :cool:

Hi Augi,

Thanks for the comments. I haven't ridden enough yet to know if I even need easy access to changing drive gears. Is that something people are doing? Seems easy enough to get to even with the original cover.

I don't know when I'll get around to a new cover but I'll let you know when I do.

Happy trails!

Ross

i don't mind just running with the cover off, but i'd surely recommend the cover for daily-commuters.

no, removing and replacing the cover when changing the drive-gear is not really a hassle for anyone who's done it a couple times. since i'm developing my racer, tho, i can find myself swappin' them out a dozen times a day, so i just had to ask about such a cool idea :)

Lovin the "hog".

Have riden it every day since last week... closing in on my first 100 miles. Put a 20 mile stent on it Sunday. Still smilin'! The GEBE kit is robust. Nothing skimpy... feels like part of the bike frame. Got the 'bike-ometer' on there... will know how fast I go on the way home today. Still no pics... sorry. I will soon.

Still haven't ordered the kick-stand. That's a real annoyance and I will order it today!

I'm a bit paranoid about the engine noise. During the day I have no problem but I leave for work at 5:00am and riding through neighborhoods with the 'hog' may be annoying some. People like their windows open at night in New Hampshire because the temps drop into the 50's.

"WHO THE **** IS WEED-WACKIN' THEIR LAWN THIS EARLY IN THE MORNING!!! :censored:"

:oops: I hope nobody starts throwing rocks!

I tend to ride the center line when I can... to give the greatest distance to houses. I know my perspective is exagerrated being two feet from the engine muffler but still I wish it could be quieter.

I still don't have it registered. I haven't been bothered by the police but neither have I passed one that noticed either. I found out that I can't go to the town hall to register it... I have to go to the DMV which is somewhat farther than I care to ride without a gas-guzzler. Probably go soon.

I'm enjoying the Schwinn Clear Creek bike. Very robust and stylish.

Pics soon.

Happy trails!

Ross

i wouldnt worry too much about the noise as you are there and then gone pretty quick.
I feel like i'm loud too but if I let someone else take a ride Im amazed with how quiet it really is.

Bike pics....

Broke my first spoke. :-/

135 miles or thereabouts and now I'm looking at beefing up the wheel. It's not a surprise but I had hoped I'd get more miles in first. I'm a big guy... 260lbs or so and I'm traversing hills and a few pot-holes. These wheels are giving their all!

I'll contact GEBE and see what the lead time is for a new 12 gage wheel. Meanwhile I'll look for 12 gage spokes. Any good places to order from?

Finally got some pics of the bike...

Happy Trails!

Ross

Attachments

• P1130851.jpg
    P1130851.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 372
  • P1130852.jpg
    P1130852.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 373
  • P1130853.jpg
    P1130853.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 327
  • P1130855.jpg
    P1130855.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 332
  • P1130854.jpg
    P1130854.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 299
I just ordered 40 stainless 12 gauge spokes from bikepartsusa.com. $47 shipped to my house. I'll leave the 14 gauge front spokes alone for now.

Note: You won't likely find 12 gauge spokes on their website. Just call. The guy was very curteous and responsive.

Ross

Back