First Ride!

Here you will see the cheapest I can do for you. Bulb, wire and tape.

First picture..bulb and wire,
Second picture... Wire stripped and ready to attach.
Third picture...attach wire to ground side of bulb. The wire is wrapped around the base two or three times and taped. I used scotch tape so you can see the connection.
Fourth picture...Tape wire to positive side of bulb. I put the tape on the wire then taped to contacts. After which I ran tape around bulb base to make secure.
Fifth/sixth picture. Test bulb with a battery, I used a 9V, if not handy use a car battery. I don't think a AAA, AA, C, or D will work. A battery charger will work.

When testing the test light make sure that you test with propper voltage, meaning that if you use a 6V bulb don't test with a 12V battery as you will be making a second one. You can use less voltage but not much more. A 12V battery will most likely smoke a 6V bulb.

By the way, the test light will work either way you hook up the wires. positive to positive or positive to negative.

Attachments

• 1031091257-00.jpg
    1031091257-00.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 1031091302-00.jpg
    1031091302-00.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 1031091305-00.jpg
    1031091305-00.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 1031091307-00.jpg
    1031091307-00.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 139
  • 1031091310-00.jpg
    1031091310-00.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 161
  • 1031091310-01.jpg
    1031091310-01.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I'm not sure about how to do that from the explaination. Do you have a diagram? BTW, I just went out and got 2 NGK B6HS spark plugs. Hooked them up, and I got nothing still.

Thanks, I made the test light. It works. So when I connect it, I attach the light to the blue wire from the engine, and then the other wire to the black one? I'm slightly confused. Sorry, Im tottaly new to this electrical stuff.:unsure:

Using your test light attach one wire to the black and the other to the blue...turn motor over the light should light up if coil is good. Then undo the wire going to the blue wire and attach to white and retest. Make sure you are using the wires from the coil. If this checks out good and still no spark I'd replace the CDI. When one lead of the test light is connected to black, you should be able to light up the bulb on both the blue and white wire test.

Don't worry...you are doing quite well being you are 14.

This is how I tested it, (well, the hook up) and the light didn't turn on. The tester works though. I'm going to get a new capacitor for $10. For me the white wire is generator, and i haven't hooked anything up to it. Could thast be doing anything?

Attachments

• 100_1023.jpg
    100_1023.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 186
I can't tell if you hooked the test light to the coil (inside the engine) or the CDI (the unit where the spark plug wire comes from) You need to test the coil and the engine needs to be turning over. This can be done by removing the spark plug, lift the rear wheel off the ground and spin the rear wheel. Another way is to secure the bulb on the bike (tape it out of the way) and peddle the bike like you want to start the engine...without the spark plug installed.

Hey,

I had the same problem around 20 miles into my bike. The engine just turned over when I let out the clutch, no sound of a spark, and the throttle just changed the tone of the engine. Then I noticed all kinds of black oil coming out of my exhaust and engine (I had a loose exhaust gasket). Turns out that the black piece of plastic with the 90 degree turn that connects the spark plug wire to the spark plug itself had just come off. I pushed it back in, it started right up.

I've attached your picture with an arrow-- try pushing the pieces together before you go out buying capacitors and stuff! It doens't make sense for the CDI to stop working randomly, it's essentially solid state.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 100_1023 copy.jpg
    100_1023 copy.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 177
That is incorect....The spark plug wire does not push in. On the CDI where the plug wire goes in has a screw and the wire threads onto that screw. Fact...my coil went out the first day...keep in mind who makes these cra*ppy parts... If you are talking about the wire to plug then OK. I'd change the wire and plug connector to begin with.

If you get no fire out of the coil the coil is bad and has nothing to do with the CDI.

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's worth a dam.n

Blue arrow is where the screw is located...the wire was trash on the first kit but had good wire on the next two. Changed the plug cap on all three,

Attachments

• CDI...jpg
    CDI...jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
excuse my noob question, but is the coil inside the engine or in the CDI (or a part of)

Oh, I always have pushed the spark plug cap right on the spark plug. It was too hard to screw on. Ill do that in the future. ****, i just bought a new CDI. ERRRRR!

Okay, maybe it screws in.

Yes, the spark plug cap does push right onto the plug itself, you'll hear it rattle and then stop once it's made contact.

I'm talking about the junction between the spark plug cap and the spark plug wire. Mind came loose soon after I got my bike running, and I just pushed it back on, and my bike ran for a good 220 miles.

Yours looks like it might be loose, look at the picture I posted if you like.

Always good advice to do plenty of research before you buy a bunch of parts, though.

EDIT: The coil is in the engine. Yes, I suppose it is possible for it to go bad, but if it has you should call up your dealer and arrange for a new engine. You shouldn't have to pay for a failure that catastrophic. But check to see if your spark plug wire + cap are operational first.

Last edited:
Back