First Ride

Rob_E_Rob

Local time
8:13 AM
Well, I got my first build all put together. I tried to follow all the hints and tips I have read on here like loctite EVERYTHING, use lock nuts where you can, and so forth. When I installed the rag joint, however, I did it wrong. I managed to pull the tire out of true, and on my first ride, after the engine fired, I made it about 8 feet before everything went nuts. The drive chain came off, the idler shredded, and the chain wrapped around the hub and locked the tire. Of course I need to true everything up, and try it again, but I think this rag joint is just a bad idea. I think a jackshaft might be in my future, but 200 bucks is a little much to come off of for a casual hobbie.
Any suggestions?

Do the rag joint again only do it right. You can do away with the idler by shortening the chain or get another one.

professor is right, though his bluntness might have seemed like an insult. (I doubt if that was what he meant.) You likely mis-installed that rag joint.

They are a lot less than perfect, it's true. But with care they can be made usable.

Good luck. (And watch that drive wheel carefully. It's probably the weakest link in these bikes)

When I installed the rag joint, however, I did it wrong. I managed to pull the tire out of true, and on my first ride, after the engine fired, I made it about 8 feet before everything went nuts.

Hi Rob_E_Rob,
it's actually hard to pull a wheel out of true whilst installing the sprocket with a rag joint, if the spokes are all tight. The sprocket can easily end up out-of-true, though. Also, the tensioner needs a twist to sit parallel to the chain.
Is your bike new or used? Chances are that some spokes were already loose, causing the wheel to go out of true as the sprocket was tightened.
N.B. Even if your spokes ARE tight, they won't stay that way for long. Check tension regularly, especially on the sprocket side.
Another tip is to use a grinder to rough up the surfaces of the tensioner bracket where it will contact the frame. This helps enormously to avoid the tensioner slipping over into the spokes. Also, DO NOT use insulation tape or similar under the bracket to protect the frame. (I learned this by experience.)
Under extreme pressure, especially in warmer weather, the adhesive on insulation tape acts almost like a grease and the bracket can easily shift.
... Steve

Back