first run in with the cops

zraickenator

Local time
11:55 AM
well i live in laguna beach, ca. tiny little town where the cops have nothing to do except give out parking tickets, pull people over for tint, and bust up parties. cops are usually pretty harsh about the slightest little things around here. anyway, on my way through town today, i had to ride by city hall/the police station/fire station. as i get closer, i noticed about 10 cops/fire fighters standing outside talking. usually i kill the engine and peddle if i ever see a cop but this time i was curious at what they would do if they saw me riding my MB. I figured the worst they could do was give me a warning. so i go driving by and they all turn and looked at me. much to my surprise, when they they saw what i was riding, they pointed, smiled, and gave me thumbs ups! :D haha it was pretty cool.. so now im less paranoid when i go riding around

you have larger mountain rocks than I do

a while back when coming up to a pooolice (main) station

forgot to turn engine off -- then realized what I was doing -- turned it off...

that was in the next town over -- was told by another MB er

they had stopped him over there and gave him a ticket and impounded his MB

I am not up for that today because I just want to --

ride that thing Mountainman

The day I took my first build out for a test drive I went by the police station.
There was the chief, with his back to me, talking with someone. Suddenly he heared my 2 cycle engine coming up behind him, so he turned and looked at me. I waved and he waved back. Since then the same thing has happened with the other officers.

I've never asked them, but it's clear to me that they don't regard this bike as any problem.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that people wil point at some neighboring town and say something (stupid) like, "I know one place where they're banned. Don't even think about riding there." Of course, they're talking about those ridiculous pocket bikes that popped up a few years back.

Looks like, if we just ride cool, the cops don't have any problem with us.

say something (stupid) like, "I know one place where they're banned.

Of course, they're talking about those ridiculous pocket bikes that popped up a few years back.

well - thanks to those ridiculous pocket bikes
we have two nearby towns who have banned all small MBs and such

one of these towns is also well known for being
very strick in other areas of the law or laws

I do at times -- still have to ride through these places (towns)
I try to make a point of --
holding speed down
pedalling a little when needed
full stop at stop signs

at a place where I hang out at times down in our town
there is a stop sign in front of the building
two MBers and one scooter come by there often
these guys do not even come close to what is called a stop (ticket coming)
just a few more giving MBers a bad name...

makes it harder on us when we wish to ride that thing Mountainman

Great story, It's just a shame the laws aren't more uniform. Everybody within reason should be able to enjoy these great machines.

People who ride on the roads either hot rodding or not following road laws should get a good shakeup from the cops, in a civilized manner of course. I figure, whats the rush? I'm on an MB to take it easy and enjoy the ride of a bicycle without the constant physical exertion of one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story, It's just a shame the laws aren't more uniform. Everybody within reason should be able to enjoy these great machines.

People who ride on the roads either hot rodding or not following road laws should get a good shakeup from the cops, in a civilized manner of course. I figure, whats the rush? I'm on an MB to take it easy and enjoy the ride of a bicycle without the constant physical exertion of one.
I'de like to have the power to give ANY idiot(car/bike/truck etc) my own on-the-spot punishment...........$$$fine...6 mths suspension.....your banned for life.
Ofcourse i'de have to exclude myself from any punishment arrangement. :)

I was at the corner today waiting for the light to change. Cars don't want to make that right on red when I'm there so I'm waving them on to go ahead and turn and they obliged. It got so I wasn't even looking at them any more. Just waving my hand to say go ahead and turn then I realized I was waving on a motorcycle cop.
He just said "HI" and I said "How are you doing officer?" And as he made his right turn he said "Nice day!"
Yea. Colorado RULES. I ride by the police stations all the time. I even go to public utilities every month to pay my water bill. It's the same building as the court house/police station.
I get nothing but praise.

zraickenator: i hope i get the same two thumbs and not two tickets when i start riding from downey to long beach and back for work......we'll see i guess
grez

I was thinking about this today...

Ya know those bigger cities with the cops that ride the mountain bikes on patrol... We as a community should manufacture some top-of-the-line motorized version of the bikes... and really try to get the law on our side. ESP here in NY, where motorized bikes are illegal...

I bet a bike cop would be a little happier if he had a dependable Honda strapped to his rear tire!

Back