First Start "Dos and Don'ts" ???

yuckfoo

Local time
11:08 PM
I finished my first build on Tuesday and will start the engine for the first time in the next few days. I'm waiting on a carburetor o-ring to come in the mail. Once that's here I'll be ready. Just looking for some tips on the first start, what to do or not do. (I'm sure opinions vary.) I've heard people say run the engine like you have no care in the world, I've heard others say run it gentle for awhile. The carb comes with a priming pump, some say no need to use it. I've heard first start should be with the choke on till it stalls, then choke off and start it again. How do you start and run a brand new engine? Do you check the spark plug right away or after some miles? Got any tips on air mix adjuster? What about idle? Any tips or cautions appreciated!

Go find a big hill. Ride up, pull in clutch at top, coast down it. Go a few blocks up. While riding tht few blocks to the hill and after you go over, blip it have some fun, hammer the gas some. Dont wring it out on flat land, but full peg up a hill as long as ya not rattling apart is ok. Now do that 3 or 4 times and go home. Check ya bolts, head, pipe, intake, mounts, etc. Then repeat the hill thing, go home, check, repeat hill, go home, check, and you're good.

Back