First Start

Do you need the basics?

Just pull in the clutch handle, pedal up to 4 or 5 mph and pop the clutch. You might or might not need a bit of choke.

If you need something more specific, I'm sure we can help.

Are you having trouble starting it up?

bgw,

thanks. i'll try it. no need to prime or choke? how long would you let idle before riding?

break in is suppose to run under 30 min. and not over 20mph? does that make sense to you?

thanks again,

bill

bgw,

thanks. i'll try it. no need to prime or choke? how long would you let idle before riding?

break in is suppose to run under 30 min. and not over 20mph? does that make sense to you?

thanks again,

bill

Up untill this month from day one, I've never used any choke at all. Although if the bike sits overnight or longer I do prime...about 3 pumps. As far as break in time and speed, it can't hurt. That is how I did mine...zero problems and 290 miles.

are you using a chain tool to put that THING together

hi,
i tried to start twice. chain snapped twice where i spliced a chain extension. any ideas?

bill
are you using a chain tool to put that THING together
when done right
that chain should not break there
cheap chain tools available at wal-mart ------- under 10 bucks

get it fixed and ride that MB thing

though if we're talking about the engine drive chain, then a wal-mart chain tool is not going to do the trick.

But if you're snapping chains on start-up, then I'm thinking that you don't have the tensioner set right. It's probably acting like a bottleneck in the "flow" of the chain. Try moving the tensioner as far forward as possible. Or you can get the tensioner off of that chain altogether. Here's how I did it:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=9809&highlight=tensioner

As far as choke goes, I don't hardly choke at all above about 50 deg F. From 40 to 50 needs a bit of choke. Below 40 needs quite a bit. Though individual engines are sure to vary, you don't usually need a lot.

My warmup is minimal. I figure that all I really want is to avoid putting a load on an ice cold engine. I'll bet they get to a reasonable temperature very quickly. Above about 60 deg F, I'll just pedal along at very little throttle for a minute or so letting my legs carry a good part of the load. From 40 to 60 or so I'll start it up then pull over to the side, goose the throttle just a bit for maybe half a minute the go. From the low 30s down I'll warm it up for about as long as it takes to smoke a cigarette.

thanks guys,
i think i fixed the chain but i will get a chain today. now the chain is jammed in the engine. it does not look like it is jammed on the engine sprocket. could it be something internally? i am thinking the worst like engine seizure before first start. please tell me it is not that.

bill

Back