First Time Buyer/Builder

So, after kicking around some ideas. I have finally made a decision to build a Motorized bike. I first wanted the GT2-a frame with a 4 stroke motor but im trying to keep costs down and im a little impatient and want to get my feet wet and see if this is something i really want to do or not.

So right now i have a 2005 KHS DJ 100. Its a dirt jumper and i just measured the frame and it will fit a 2 stroke. I hope.

I am looking at this kit on ebay and i just want to know if anyone has bought this exact kit before and if its a decent starter kit.

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-Flying-Horse-Bicycle-Engine-Kit-Motorized-Bike-Gas-Black-2-Stroke-66cc-NEW-/181524005982?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a43ac845e&vxp=mtr

I am skilled enough to build a bike and a motor I just havent put them together. Any help will do. I will post pictures of my progress as well.

Lastly, Is there another way to mount the motor on a bike with a larger downtube without the bracket?

Thanks

I forgot to mention also. I do know that there are front engine mounts that will allow me to make it fit rather than grinding the motor up, but the motor mount will take up more room. I also know that i can get a offset intake but im sure ill be ok with a low profile filter and the 90 degree cable adjuster.

I would simply find another frame to work with. Why fight this? Besides, this bike looks small - I think 26" wheels are the way to go. One of the things I enjoy about riding my motorbike is to look down and see the big tire up front rolling.

You can make a functional thin air filter, but it's gonna be a pain in the butt to take on and off.

A big part of the fun of this is making it work so, if you are really determined, go for it. There are no rules.

This is a 26inch bike. Lol. I guess it does look small but it's not. It's a really good bike and I am determined to make it work. I know it will work if I grind the motor mount a little so it sits flush. I just want to know if anyone has done that before and had it work fine.

That engine looks as good as any. I would be ure and get a 415 (motorcycle) chain. They are almost indestructable.

Another thing: Motor mounts are key and it is best to over engineer them. Make it so your motor is straight and cannot move.

10201867201153728.jpg

Correction: The chains are absolutely indestructible :) You will damage your engine/wheel before those chains even chip.

And yes make for CERTAIN your mounts are on nice and tight. A loose mount can lead to a bolt breaking off inside your block and that's no fun. On that note, don't use the standard sprocket mount either. Go all out. You'll save more on wheels in the long run

Just do it! It's your ride, Make it happen. There may be several frames that are better suited for motorizing, but that's not what you have. I am building a Mongoose Beast fat tire bike, I was told the same thing (get a different frame). The Wright Brothers were told they couldn't FLY. The only limit is your imagination (or abilities),GO FOR IT. HAPPY MOTORING

And a picture of the motor sitting in the frame.

View attachment 55476

My downtube is just a tad too large as you can see in the picture.

View attachment 55477

So now the motor just sits on the frame like this...

View attachment 55479

Which i know is not good.

And then theres the problem with the carb not fitting with the ait filter enclosure on it. and i had to take off the carb cable adjuster.

Hopefully i can get some help on what to do or if i should just find another bike? All help is appreciated.

But... I think I can make it work. Now tell me if this is wrong or wont work.

Just take your carb and intake off, an off-set intake will fix that problem.

You engine won't stay in place just butted up against the seat post.
All your engines drive force is against the seat post and it has to be perfect.

You might be able to cut ~1/4" off the engine side of the rear mount block but that's about it, put it in and go from there.

Your front mount, besides helping to keep your engine from leaning, also keeps it from wanting to pivot to the left.
If your front mount studs are hitting both sides of your downtube there won't be enough material to remove by grinding your engine front mount, you would have to go all the way to the studs leaving nothing to hold them in the motor.

The best bet is a SickBikeParts front mount.
It'll raise your engine some but doable I think.

Is that a steel or aluminum frame?
I don't recommend this a first option but if nothing else will work you can pinch a steel frame a little right where the engine mount will pass so the engine can rest in that front mount.

I found a pair of heavy duty C clamps worked pretty well.
Two clamps side by side tightened from each side until the tube elongates a bit.

Just be committed to motorizing that bike before you do that ;-}

I run into the problem of having a fatter down tube than engine mount. it might not be conventional but i take my bicycle and put in a vice (with a cloth around it to prevent scratches). i squeeze the frame until its skinny enough to get the engine on there. I've never had any problems nor seen signs of weakening.

Well Its been a little while since my last post because i ran into a few problems. I was able to grind the downtube mount just a little to make it fit perfectly. Im really glad i didnt have to put the frame in a vice, it was the last resort. I cut the seat post spacer mount in half and was able to bolt it to the bike. All the harware was changed and I torqued the head down. Did a few other things... Thats when the other problem happened. I wasnt able to put the sprocket on because my rim had disk brake mounts and the sprocket wouldnt go over it. So i ended up buying a new rim and finally got it all together.
img_20150125_121716.jpg
I have the clutch cover off cause i was adjusting the clutch.

I think its looking good. I was barely able to get the carb on but its all good. I need to get a 90 degree cable adjuster for the carb. and a low profile air filter, also some better fuel line.
I will also have to pick up a dual pull lever and eventually get the hub clamp sprocket mount.
Eventually I will paint the Tank and Motor in a High Heat Flat Black.

What do you guys think? Is there Something i should do or something that would make it look better?

Thank you to everyone who helped me with there knowledge.

I was able to grind the downtube mount just a little to make it fit perfectly.
I cut the seat post spacer mount in half and was able to bolt it to the bike.

Thank you to everyone who helped me with there knowledge.
Sweet, and you're welcome.
Some cosmetic cabling and wiring work and you have yourself a sharp bike.

Bummer about sacrificing the disc brake though.

I am a little bummed about the disk brakes but I never used them. It rode very nice, I was worried about there being alot vibration, but there wasnt any at all.

Back