First Time Ever

Just a suggestion.....I have a brake lever from an electric hubmotor, and also one from a Honda aero scooter that I am saving for when I install a brake light. They have built in switches to operate the brake lights. I think some of the Chinese scooters use the same setup.

Also, RedBaronX, the 12 volts 7amp battery will work just fine if your LEDs are designed for 12 volts. That is what the circuit boards do in your assembly

RedBaronX,

I guess the trick isn't to push the switch when you pull the brake, but to release the switch when you pull the brake.

well, I definitely saw many when I was looking at Radio Shack, but I didn't even think about them-- I tend to have a one track mind when I start thinking out a problem.

I have a brake handle sitting on my desk, and I've been playing with it, looking to see where would be good places to put a switch, and if it's not much different than the dual pull, I can see a good spot for the kind of switch you're talking about... I'll have to take this with my next trip to The Shack...

I'm posting this at the request of Hurricane and for any other interested viewers. This was the procedure for the trailer hitch.

I would have prefered to use aluminum, but I couldn't find the size I needed or the ability to make sharp bends, so I went with copper. For the first section of the hitch I used a part from an old child trailer hitch, but I'm sure with some flat stock and light steel tubing, one could weld one up easily enough. This mounts to the rear axle. (see hitch photo 1)

Next I took a 3 inch piece of 3/4 copper and drilled a vertical hole in the end leaving enough for about 1/4 inch overhang on the inside of the hitch. A slit could be cut in the top and bottom of the tube instead to allow for up and down changes in the road, but I just made the hole a bit bigger. I may cut a slit later. A quick release pin connects the two. (photo hitch 2).

After that I soldered a 45 deg. angle so that the tongue is pulled away from the frame some to allow for better turning. I capped the hitch end for strength and flattened the tongue end. On the tongue end I drilled a hole, and the same on the long part of the tongue connecting the trailer with the hitch. I added a bushing, a couple washers, bolt and lock nut to complete the hitch section. (photo hitch 3) And for those critics out there, yes I know,,, I didn't get the hole centered.. So What! :)

To finalize the whole tongue section I measured out from the hub to the end of the back tire and cut my tongue tube. This gave me enough of an angle to make sharp turns without rubbing the tire. The rest of the tongue sections and bends are obvious per the photos.

Just a suggestion.....I have a brake lever from an electric hubmotor, and also one from a Honda aero scooter that I am saving for when I install a brake light. They have built in switches to operate the brake lights. I think some of the Chinese scooters use the same setup.

Looking around eBay, I am finding a lot of basic brake levers with brake light switches-- pretty inexpensive, too. So, if I were to get one, and since I use a dual-pull brake lever right now, my next question to myself is-- do I use it for the clutch (which would sacrifice the lever lock) or do I try to figure out a way to dual-pull off a single standard brake lever?

Or... do I try to find a dual-pull with a brake light switch... which has GOT to exist...

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back