First time starting Phantom 85

Look, I get you guys are experienced and but is the cooling really that s**t that you need 20:1, maybe its because its so much colder hear in UK, but we run air cooled bikes at almost 50:1 here and thats with High compression and all. You are right about me being out of my depth here, its just that when I ran 20:1 once as an experiment, it almost Immediately fouled plug after 10 hours. I will do some testing with temps and different mix ratios once I get the engine running. It is Interesting to here from people who actually run these things though, thanks for correcting me before someone actually listened lol.

Look, I get you guys are experienced and but is the cooling really that s**t that you need 20:1, maybe its because its so much colder hear in UK, but we run air cooled bikes at almost 50:1 here and thats with High compression and all. You are right about me being out of my depth here, its just that when I ran 20:1 once as an experiment, it almost Immediately fouled plug after 10 hours. I will do some testing with temps and different mix ratios once I get the engine running. It is Interesting to here from people who actually run these things though, thanks for correcting me before someone actually listened lol.
Yes, cooling is that poor, and friction kills them. The ceramic lining of the cylinder gets destroyed.

Again, ignorance is your enemy. No 2 engines are the same, so assuming they will be is never a good thing. These things run so hot that they cleanly burn even at 20:1. I saw more smoke out of my YD100 engine at 40:1 than my Phantom at 20:1.

What I have seen as the moderator of the P85 Facebook group is several new people with destroyed Phantoms after listening to some other person tell them that 20:1 is "too much" and to run 50:1. Several meaning at least 10.

Again, ignorance is your enemy. No 2 engines are the same, so assuming they will be is never a good thing. These things run so hot that they cleanly burn even at 20:1. I saw more smoke out of my YD100 engine at 40:1 than my Phantom at 20:1.
My 2 Phantoms burn so clean that even during breakin, there is zero smoke seen out of the exhaust.

maybe its because its so much colder hear in UK,
I'm originally from Boston, Mass. USA...I will trade you weather "war stories" anytime, like during the blizzard of 78 where we literally had to dig tunnels to get around because the snow was so deep and the temps were so cold even the snow plows couldn't run and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts was totally shut down for a week, no road travel permitted etc.

Weather in UK is much better then it is in New England...I was born and raised In N.E. and have visited the UK, all you guys need to worry about is it pissing rain all the time and remember to where your Mac, your Wellies and don't forget your Bumbershoot...lol...lol.

maybe its because its so much colder hear in UK, but we run air cooled bikes at almost 50:1 here and thats with High compression and all.
And how many of those motors in the UK that you are talking about just happen to be Phantom 85s or Avengers and not just run of the mill China Girls???

I'm originally from Boston, Mass. USA...I will trade you weather "war stories" anytime, like during the blizzard of 78 where we literally had to dig tunnels to get around because the snow was so deep and the temps were so cold even the snow plows couldn't run and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts was totally shut down for a week, no road travel permitted etc.

Weather in UK is much better then it is in New England...I was born and raised In N.E. and have visited the UK, all you guys need to worry about is it pissing rain all the time and remember to where your Mac, your Wellies and don't forget your Bumbershoot...lol...lol.
Tell them how you had to go to school and back home by climbing a mountain naked in the snow for 30 miles too. You can't leave that out.

Tell them how you had to go to school and back home by climbing a mountain naked in the snow for 30 miles too. You can't leave that out.
Hahahaha...I got my proof of this storm...I also remember the April 18th blizzard of the early 1980s too that shut down the Commonwealth once more for a few days...lol.

It's funny, in the last 8 hours we had a newbie ask the oil mix ratio in the P85 facebook group, and the only 2 replies were 36:1 and 40-50:1. I deleted those commends, told the person the same 20:1 and 25:1. I then made this post. You know, because I am a dictator and all that.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 210925.png

Back