Fito Modena GT-2 / 49cc 4G T Belt / SBP shift kit

Fito Modena GT-2 7-speed bike (Ebay)
49cc 4-stroke HS142F with 80-tooth 4G gear (bicycle-engines.com)
Shift Kit (Sick Bike Parts)
Heavy Duty Clutch (Staton-inc)
2.4 gallon fuel tank (Ebay)
Double kickstand (Amazon)
Suspension seatpost (donor bike)
Less clownish handlebars (donor bike)
Digital tach (Amazon)
Speedometer (Amazon)
Tuffy strips and tire slime (Amazon)
Ibera back rack (Amazon)
Jacket: Joe Rocket UFO 2.0 (Amazon)

Attachments

• ENG4G-TSKIT.jpg
    ENG4G-TSKIT.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,214
  • fitomodena.jpg
    fitomodena.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
I got a bit done on the bike.
  • I got the bottom bracket press and installed the bottom bracket adapter and the bottom bracket.
  • I assembled and installed the freewheel and front cogs.
  • Installed the cranks.
  • I assembled the motor mount and installed it. I'm pretty unimpressed with the clamping method (exhaust clamps). It's a pretty cheesy way to clamp it.
  • I assembled the jack shaft and installed it.
  • I measured, cut and installed the jackshaft-freewheel chain.
  • I installed the seatpost from my old bike because it has a shock. Required a shim.
  • I installed the handlebars from my mountain bike because cruiser bars are clownishly wide. This required a new stem.
  • I swapped the brake levers over from the old handlebars.
  • I mounted the grip shifter on the left side rather than right, so I can put the throttle on the right.
  • I mounted a dual kickstand.

Sounds like you had a bunch of fun today. Once you've built a few of these installing parts goes way faster. I'm in the process of saving up for the same shift kit. Can't wait till I have enough :D.

Got a little more done.
  • I realized that the 1-1/8" saddles (for the U-bolts that attach the mount) were too small and were gouging my aluminum frame, and also made the jackshaft way too close to the frame. I got 1-1/4" saddles from the local Napa and they fit the frame better. I had to bend all the U-bolts to make them small enough to fit through the holes on the engine mount. That made them not fit through the saddles, so then I had to drill all of those out too.
  • The lower U-bolt was too long to install without it hitting the engine mount, so I had to cut it.
  • Did I mention not being impressed with the Sick Bike Parts method for clamping the kit to the frame?
  • Installed the threaded adjustment thing. Yes, I had to bend the U-bolt to make it fit. And then drill out the saddle so the U-bolt would fit.
  • Used the threaded adjustment thing to make the right-side chain nice and snug.
  • Sampled the Irish Stout I made a while ago. Not bad!

Last edited:
Got a bit more done.
  • Replaced the spark plug with an Iridium one. The stock plug has a push on terminal and the Iridium plug has a threaded terminal, so I got an adaptor from Napa.
  • Replaced the clutch with the heavy duty clutch from Staton.
  • Installed the 4G "transmission".
  • Mounted the engine to the bike.
    • This required grinding off the cable stops on the bike frame as they butted up against the air filter housing.
    • Also required chopping the choke lever on the engine down to a nub.
  • Installed left-side jackshaft sprocket. This required using both thick washers *and* both thin washers as spacers.
  • Measured, cut and installed the left-side chain.
  • Slid engine forward to tighten the left-side chain. It worked!
That's it for today. Next I need to file grooves in the jackshaft, and then reinstall it, and then tighten everything. Then I'll test ride it with pedal power. If that's all good I'll mount the tank and throttle, add gas and oil, and take it for a spin!

Last edited:
Oh heck. The 4G "transmission" is very much in the way of the left pedal. At the moment I don't see how to make it work without a much, much longer axle in the bottom bracket. :-/

Ordered the 226mm bottom bracket from sick bike. The longer axle used with the offset cranks that came with the bicycle-engines.com kit *might* give me enough clearance to be able to use the pedals.

Last edited:
Still waiting on the 226mm bottom bracket.
Got the CA Special Plate for the bike in the mail, freshly minted at a California Prison. :-/

I got a little work done on it today:
  • I received a bottom bracket and spindle that is wide enough to clear the 4G belt drive (226 mm) and installed it.
  • I had to install the offset cranks from the bicycle-engines.com kit as the ones that sick bike included with their kit hit the belt drive, even with their widest spindle.
  • I attached the pedals.
  • I loosely reinstalled the engine, both gears on the jackshaft and both jackshaft chains.
Next steps:
  • I'll double check the alignment, file the slots on the jackshaft, tighten everything down, and test drive it by pedal power.
  • Then attach the gas tank and throttle, and add gas and oil.
  • And the tachometer and mirror.
  • It might be read for a test drive then!

Gettin' closer:
  • I filed the slots on the jackshaft, reassembled it, & tightened everything down.
  • I drilled a hole in the handlebars and attached the throttle.
  • I attached the gas tank. My top tube is huge, so I wasn't able to bolt it on. I just Gorilla taped it for now, and it'll "probably" hold until I get a larger (and less crappy looking) gas tank. Maybe I'll ziptie it also, for the redneck equivalent of "belts and suspenders."
  • I attached the petcock and the bit of fuel line.
  • I attached the rear fender.
Next:
  • Hook up tachometer and mirror
  • Test drive with pedal power
  • Add gas and oil
  • Test drive it?!?
The weather is supposed to be somewhat less horrible tomorrow, so I may actually get this beast on some asphalt!

Back