Fito Modena GT-2 / 49cc 4G T Belt / SBP shift kit

Fito Modena GT-2 7-speed bike (Ebay)
49cc 4-stroke HS142F with 80-tooth 4G gear (bicycle-engines.com)
Shift Kit (Sick Bike Parts)
Heavy Duty Clutch (Staton-inc)
2.4 gallon fuel tank (Ebay)
Double kickstand (Amazon)
Suspension seatpost (donor bike)
Less clownish handlebars (donor bike)
Digital tach (Amazon)
Speedometer (Amazon)
Tuffy strips and tire slime (Amazon)
Ibera back rack (Amazon)
Jacket: Joe Rocket UFO 2.0 (Amazon)

Attachments

• ENG4G-TSKIT.jpg
    ENG4G-TSKIT.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,214
  • fitomodena.jpg
    fitomodena.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
I figured out why it was dying! The idle was set too low.
I hooked up a tachometer and saw it was only idling around 1300 RPM. I turned it up to 2000 and it works fine (doesn't die when I use and then release the throttle!)
I drove it on a 1 mile round trip to the USFS to get my burn permit. It hauled ass up a steep hill without any apparent effort. The top engine speed seems to be <4000 RPM so I guess my throttle cable is loose, or perhaps it's related to my plastic twist throttle being trash.
Pretty darn fun.
The engine shut off switch didn't work when I was at the USFS, so I just left it running. When I got home I fiddled with the button until I found a sweet spot that shut off the engine.
The tachometer died before I got home. I figure the battery is already dead but I haven't tested it yet.

If anyone has tips on breaking in the engine I'd appreciate them.

I took it on another spin today and got chased by feral dogs. Life on the rez. I now have two miles on the engine!
I lost one of the set screws because I didn't use Loctite on it. Now they're all Loctitened.
The throttle cable isn't loose, so I'm still not sure why my top RPM is <4000. It could be that the tach just isn't accurate at higher RPM?
My car is getting a new engine put in it right now, so this bike is my only transportation for the next week or so.

glad u figured it out.
I took it on another spin today and got chased by feral dogs. Life on the rez. I now have two miles on the engine!
I lost one of the set screws because I didn't use Loctite on it. Now they're all Loctitened.
The throttle cable isn't loose, so I'm still not sure why my top RPM is <4000. It could be that the tach just isn't accurate at higher RPM?
My car is getting a new engine put in it right now, so this bike is my only transportation for the next week or so.

what is your top speed? mebe it is time to play with the air/fuel mixture screw

Done:
  • I ordered set screws (50 for $10!), parallel keys (12" for $6!), #410 master links (4 for $5!) and #410 half links (4 for $5!).
  • Picked out but didn't order an alloy throttle.

Last edited:
Done:
  • Installed front fender
  • Tried and failed to install a backrack. The disc brake is in the way so I need an adapter or a compatible rack.

Last edited:
Earlier I had noticed that my tachometer never got above 3000 RPM and I thought it was a problem with my engine. Today I paid a bit more attention to the tachometer as I slowly increased speed, and I see it's just a problem with the tach. After it gets to about 3000 it abruptly drops down to around 1500, so I think it's just counting every other spark. I'll try changing the location of the coil and see if that helps, and if not I'll send it back.

Today I rode another mile, and this time used the gears. I'm not too keen on going *very* fast until I have more miles on the bike and have a motorcycle jacket, but it was fun to take it up a few gears! The bike is smooth and comfortable.

I got the speedometer today; haven't installed it yet.

Last edited:
Back