Fix my Whizzer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys My guess would be that your cam gear has slipped on the cam I would remove cam and replace with good tag welded one ...hope this helps ....Bill

Hi go-rebels,

The intake should open approx. 40 degrees BTDC. That means when the flywheel trigger is heading towards the pickup the intake valve should open. I would guess the intake should start to open as the trigger passes the edge of the case where the serial number is stamped [somewhere between the edge of the case and the pickup].

You might be on the right track with the coil wire [spark plug wire].

Call me if you need to.

Have fun,

Thanks Quenton,

I will perform a "drywall screw" test where I put a drywall screw into the coil wire socket and watch the spark jump to the spark plug tip. That way I know I'm getting spark at the plug tip. If I can't get the bike to fire once, with a good battery, then I'll pull the sidecover and look at the timing.

Quenton, can I see the trigger if I leave the cam in the engine and rotate the crank?

Hi Quenton,

Sorry, but I'm going to need a little more description of what I'm looking at if and when I pull the sidecover to check the timing. I'm not clear (physically) what I'm looking at when you describe the "trigger".

There must be some ****-poor quality control if the cam lobe has in-fact slipped on the shaft. And, unfortuneately there is not way for me to fix it since I can't fixture the parts into the proper position to "fasten" them again. I've got access to someone with a TIG welder, but there's virtually no twisting load on the cam so I suspect that a braze joint would work fine (I could do THAT). Then again, I've got the Henrob welder...

One more comment... I've got to believe I've got an ignition problem as I can't get the bike to backfire once through the tailpipe or carb, even using a small amount of starting fluid at 70F temperature.. A backfire is a common sign that you've got a timing problem. Without a single ignition, I've got to believe that I'm not getting any spark to the plug tip.

Hi guys When the cam gear slips more than two teeth retarted it acts just like an ignition falure...Unless you have another cam to compare it to its hard to find ..You can send the cam to Quenton or myself to be checked and welded..Im west coast and Quenton is east coast...Hope this helps ..................Bill

But certainly I'd get at least one backfire throught the exhaust or carb? I've tried firing it up probably >50 times.

I had my brothers cam off by about 12 teeth and it still popped once in a while when trying to start it. (I used the wrong mark on the crank when advancing the cam) I agree that you should get at least one pop when you used the starting fluid.. Replace that plug wire

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back