Fixed it! (Sort of?) Engine bogging now?

unoahguy

Local time
11:43 AM
Here's my next step on my Whizzer journey: I replaced the broken rear hub with a worksman hub, respoked the wheel myself, got it trued at a bike shop, and reattached the sheave. I put it on after I had my metal worker neighbor flatten out a brake piece that wouldn't fit in the stock brake holder.

I rode it around for the first time in a month or so (I recently am working on restoring an old Honda motorcycle). After a bit, I noticed the engine would begin to bog down, sputter, and sometimes die even when I had my throttle wide open. Could it be the carbs? I did have it laying around for a bit, would they be gunked up?

I'm pretty new to working on these engines, but I would pull the carb and clean it. Takes like 20 minutes. When my bike was sitting for months, it wouldn't even start. Turns out the jet in the carb was clogged, and wasn't spitting fuel into the engine. So that would be the first thing I would check, also the spark plug. Also check fuel line, make sure gas is getting to carb and float bowl.

I'm pretty new to working on these engines, but I would pull the carb and clean it. Takes like 20 minutes. When my bike was sitting for months, it wouldn't even start. Turns out the jet in the carb was clogged, and wasn't spitting fuel into the engine. So that would be the first thing I would check, also the spark plug. Also check fuel line, make sure gas is getting to carb and float bowl.

Going to do the carbs tomorrow. Ethanol fuel is a b**ch.

Update: carbs are not the issue. I soaked them in the gunk carb cleaner for an hour and the bike fires up nicely on the stand. The issue occurs when I ride it. As soon as I release the clutch or try to take off from idle, the engine sputters and dies. Could it be a too tight belt?

Update: carbs are not the issue. I soaked them in the gunk carb cleaner for an hour and the bike fires up nicely on the stand. The issue occurs when I ride it. As soon as I release the clutch or try to take off from idle, the engine sputters and dies. Could it be a too tight belt?

That's weird ya just were riding it last month.
Are you trying to take off from a stop at idle?
With a manual clutch the bike needs to be rolling (peddled) up to about 7 - 12 MPH.

That's weird ya just were riding it last month.
Are you trying to take off from a stop at idle?
With a manual clutch the bike needs to be rolling (peddled) up to about 7 - 12 MPH.
I was taking off from idled stops, but just now thought "maybe I should pedal too lol." It looks like that might be the issue. I just need to be better with my clutch. Feel like a dumbass for treating it like a motorcycle and not a motorBIKE.

Last edited:
Back