Fixing magneto

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
8:24 AM
Hi my magneto on the engine i'm building was hanging by the wires and I guess 2 of the wires became unnattached (the white and the blue) can I re-solder them and make it work again? I think I have a soldering iron somewhere but have never soldered. I'm thinking of getting the bikeberry stage I CDI with the NGK plug cap too. I already bought a NGK B5HS but haven't gapped it I'm not sure what gap it should be.

solder it and see if it reads right on your meter
Which wire goes where and I used to have a meter but I don't know where its at. I know I have a soldering iron somewhere but need the solder maybe I could just heat up the solder already there. The wires ripped off of the solder joints (figures china). So I may need to remove those little bits of copper and strip back the wires.

you'll need to look at some pics of mags as some are wired differently - usually blue is at top

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a soldering iron and multi-meter and some flux/wire for under $3 total. the meters are free w/ a coupon. Soldering is easy. Do a continuity test by setting the meter to the 200 ohm setting and seeing if it buzzes, if your meter is cheaper and doesn't have buzz setting like the hf meter, make sure the reading is around less than an ohm, for me it was 0.8. Otherwise it may mean the solder joint isn't that good and you should redo it.

Back