FL Law Update 04/20/2011 Gas Powered Bicycle Reg. N O T Required

Ok so they changed the pdf originally on 3/15 on 3/17 and then in April on 20 So at the moment you are riding what is considered a bicycle regardless of motor under 50 cc and all the other stuff.

I did add my self to the pdf updates.

Yes I am telling you that your electric bicycle needs a DL. It certainly appears that way. You can't possibly need a DL for a bicycle because as the PDF clearly states it is still a bicycle. ANd yes you need to check the pdf at all times LOL but AT THE MOMENT if you violate the pdf you are guilty of violating a bicycle law not any other. So I think you dont need a DL. based on what we have here. I do understand all your scenarios and they make sense but what is not there in the first place cannot be a reason for a DL. Actually it makes motorized bikes ok on bike paths as well. What gets me is how these rules can change by the week.

Okay, I'm gonna chime in here and muddy the waters even further. The definition of MOPED still has not changed. And if you look on page 4 of that same document you'll see the definition and the fact that a moped IS registered. Even in the face of the specific example of the bicycle with the added motor at the end of the document, the fact remains that as soon as you slap a motor on one of these puppies, it becomes a moped by statutory definition. Which I would believe trumps the procedural document cited for registration. Just my opinion.

Note too that the referenced example states that the officer should steer the applicant to the local police to see where it could be ridden. My bet is that they (police) would tell you, "private property only". Or, "not on public roads".
So as I see it, it's back to square 1--they should be registered--tax collector's office won't do it!?!?

I think you missed my point in that last question..
Given that scenario, it should be obvious....
Of course an 8 year old shouldn't be allowed to ride a 30mph capable gas powered bicycle.
According to those that think that just because you can't register a gas powered bike, that you don't need a license, then I could possibly add a 250cc motorcycle engine, now since I can't register it, I don't need a license now and my 8 year old could take it out on the road and do 110mph.. Well guess what.. Not gonna happen.. Think about it...
So there's only two possibilities, either...
1.) You need a license.
Or
2.) Since you can't register it for use on the road, it's not allowed on the road at all.
(You can't register a normal bicycle either, but we all know you are allowed to use a normal bicycle on the road)

Unless you can come up with another possibility, it looks like #1 is it.

Well no argument with what you are saying BUT there is the under 50 cc limit to keep in mind. It certainly would be a lot easier to get a tag and be done with it , which is exactly what I did. But I don't think this situation is as clear as it was on March 15th. Frankly I am not sure what this all means. I think it makes sense that you have a DL BUT again I see where it can be interpreted as one is not necessary since it remains a bicycle. I think the issue with the moped , which is exactly how I registered my bike, has to deal with the production mopeds rather than bicycles. My strong point getting my tag was it was a homemade moped. I did not speak of it being a bicycle with a motor. The only caveat I was questioned about was if it had pedals. So it seems to me we continue to be in the same limbo we started in. Those with no DL will rationalize no need for one , Those to cheap to get a Tag will rationalize one is not needed , and those remaining will still question the entire matter endlessly LOL

I have not been stopped ridding ,turning heads, in Brandon
and I have read a lot about the subject ,my two cents:
less than 20 mph and less than 2.5hp no gears , that is an assisting motor /still a bicycle / bicycle laws are set by county .
My county seems to allow scooters 49cc and under to go unmolested :) no tag no license no registration, ...but then i could be wrong and ill be begging my way out of whatever...

the dot had all kinds of regulations about moped manufacturing , dot brake stopping and lighting,ect
all giving reasons why most motorized bicycles should not pass dot requirements to be classified as a mopeds or motorcycles acceptable for street use.,

Last edited:
Well no argument with what you are saying BUT there is the under 50 cc limit to keep in mind. It certainly would be a lot easier to get a tag and be done with it , which is exactly what I did. But I don't think this situation is as clear as it was on March 15th. Frankly I am not sure what this all means. I think it makes sense that you have a DL BUT again I see where it can be interpreted as one is not necessary since it remains a bicycle. I think the issue with the moped , which is exactly how I registered my bike, has to deal with the production mopeds rather than bicycles. My strong point getting my tag was it was a homemade moped. I did not speak of it being a bicycle with a motor. The only caveat I was questioned about was if it had pedals. So it seems to me we continue to be in the same limbo we started in. Those with no DL will rationalize no need for one , Those to cheap to get a Tag will rationalize one is not needed , and those remaining will still question the entire matter endlessly LOL

I too have my MB registered so as to avoid any issues.

So do you still go around with your tag or not?

"Say hey children... what does it all mean?"

:)

Thanks for all the info. I have to say I am glad I have a tag. But this entire thing is really nuts. How can pdfs change so rapidly? What is the point of all of this. I wish we could get an authority to speak on the subject

Lets stay with this as frustrating as it can be.

So just to make it simple at this time
a gas powered under 50 cc motorized bicycle does not need a tag.

and it is not considered a motor vehicle Correct?

But somehow you need a drivers license to ride a bicycle with a motor.

I am not trying to be funny but if what I just said is true How can that be? LOL
Missouri and a lot of other states are like that they wanna make sure you know what you are doing anyway i think you need a drivers license with any thing that has a gas motor look you think they are gonna let you go with out some kind of state id and id cards arent good enough they wanna know you know how to drive and if you are suspended that is a punishment for what you did wrong why should they let you by with driving a vehicle with a motor on it while suspended thats like giving a drunk his keys and say have fun come on get real

I wish they would make it so that 20mph and under no matter whether it's gas or electric, then you don't need a license and 20-30mph, then a moped or regular license and over 30mph a motorcycle license..

Make that uniform throughout the entire country (make a fed law), and then no issues anywhere you go.

Just my .02

P.S. We all know that registration is just a way to make money for the state.

Okay, I'm gonna chime in here and muddy the waters even further. The definition of MOPED still has not changed. And if you look on page 4 of that same document you'll see the definition and the fact that a moped IS registered. Even in the face of the specific example of the bicycle with the added motor at the end of the document, the fact remains that as soon as you slap a motor on one of these puppies, it becomes a moped by statutory definition. Which I would believe trumps the procedural document cited for registration. Just my opinion.

Note too that the referenced example states that the officer should steer the applicant to the local police to see where it could be ridden. My bet is that they (police) would tell you, "private property only". Or, "not on public roads".
So as I see it, it's back to square 1--they should be registered--tax collector's office won't do it!?!?

I agree that the police may tell you "private property only". Thats why I got my tag and registration last year.

This is how I got it, and it was registered as a Moped:

Provide to Tag Office the Following:

a. Bicycle Year
b. Brand
c. Color
d. Bicycle Serial Number
- (Usually found on the bottom of the main crank or by the rear tire chain stays)
- (the tag office then makes it your VIN, NOT me or you, your local Tax Collector - Registration - Tag Office does it.)
- (the tag office DID NOT ask for an engine serial number)
e. cc/ brake HP - (your engine should be no more than 50cc, and 2 brake HP)

Just in case:
f. Receipts, if any for engine and bicycle. - (don't provide, have it just in case tag office asks)
g. there may be more thats required, (ie: Affidavit of ownership?) However, thats a. - e. is all that I needed to get a tag and registered in about 10 minutes.

It seems clear that they WONT allow registration and tags now, as of 04/20/2011.

My facts were FULLY DISCLOSED to my local tax collectors/tag office a year ago.

(I guess if anyone wanted to try to get a tag now, - not that I am suggesting it, one would state the SIMPLE facts as above, and NOT talk about a gas motorized bicycle, but talk about a MOPED being registered.)

:)

Last edited:
Back