FLASH,20 below in toronto with wind chill

L

Large Filipino

Ha. It's cold here too but I put on my coat,gloves and my Nacho Libre mask and I'm toasty riding to the grocery store.

A

Alaskavan

It dropped to 9 degrees (f) before I got out there this morning. I keep my bikes inside, so they were warm to begin with. I rode 1 1/2 blocks to the bank on the trike. By the time I got done with the ATM, the shift cables were frozen. I parked it and got out the Trek. I rode it a mile to the shop. The Mitsu fired right up, but the friction drive didn't work worth a darn. I suspect that the City Slicks aren't very sticky when frozen (and I've worn the roller so smooth I could use it as a shaving mirror, were I so inclined). By the time I got to the shop, my fingers didn't work any better than the friction drive, so I just came back home.

srdavo

Augi called.... He said he was at Deanna's having a "power outtage party".
Marguritas!!!!

he said there was quite a wind storm.

"tailwinds rock"!!!

Last edited:
D

Dug3x3

Been chilly here too! Been in the 20's last few days . Todays actually warmin up to 30 so it can snow tonight. Suppose to get a decent jag of snow the next couple of days. Between 12" -20" .
On another subject i have been checking out the bikes recommended to me for a two wheel drive setup (cannondale, trek). Those babys are kinda spendy , for a redneck. I found a mongoose today on craiglist here in Maine. Its a mtn bike with full suspension its $60. thats more my type of bling. IS a Mongoose decent or are they a throw away ? thanks doug

A

Alaskavan

It's supposed to get cooler for the next couple of days. Tomorrow is predicted at a high around 8, with 35 mph wind, gusts to 50 (I don't know what that comes to figuring wind chill).

Cold is when it gets down around -30.

W

whelan wheels

snow snow snow

well we got plenty of snow up here in sudbury ontario canada and it's finally
stopped after four days and during that time period we ended up getting at
lest 12 to 15 inches of snow fall and it has been a blast to ride in.Just have
to change the driving habits a bit. If you want your gears to shift and your brake cable's to operate properly lube them up with WD-40 and all your cables should operate fine also luburcate your chain and derailiurres,[hoped i
spelled that ok.],and it should shift ok and also adjust your brakes [if they
are side pull that is.]and they should operate fine. As for the mongoose bike
they are o.k. bikes to ride.:cool::rolleyes:

A

Alaskavan

Yesterday they had watersouts on the water about halfway between me and Denny (he's about 80 miles south). I guess one lasted for about 5 minutes, and reached from the ocean up at least to the cloud cover (3,500'). That would have been cool to see. This morning when I got up it was -6 (f) outside. I left the bikes at home. The subaru barely started, so I took it to the shop and put Mobil One in it. In the past, I've experimented with letting various kinds of oil sit outside for a few days at -30. Mobil One is the only one I've found that doesn't start flowing like honey. I'm testing some other synthetics right now (though it's not Really Cold). Not all synthetics are created equal.

I

ibdennyak

Yesterday they had watersouts on the water about halfway between me and Denny (he's about 80 miles south). I guess one lasted for about 5 minutes, and reached from the ocean up at least to the cloud cover (3,500'). That would have been cool to see. This morning when I got up it was -6 (f) outside. I left the bikes at home. The subaru barely started, so I took it to the shop and put Mobil One in it. In the past, I've experimented with letting various kinds of oil sit outside for a few days at -30. Mobil One is the only one I've found that doesn't start flowing like honey. I'm testing some other synthetics right now (though it's not Really Cold). Not all synthetics are created equal.
Van

We had a waterspout on the channel too. Not that big....maybe 1/4 mile or less at the base, but it enveloped the bridge between Douglas and Juneau. Just guessing maybe 500 feet tall. Quite a feeling to see the thing coming at us across the water and then surround us on the bridge. Instant salt spray on the car. Not a good time for a bike/ :D

I had a job that required a generator and gas drive welder at about -20 several years back. I too found Mobil 1 to be about the best for flow and starting at those temps. Course that was 10 years ago. Things may have improved since then. Also used Amsoil in Wisconsin. That worked well too, but I couldn't find a dealer.

Keep warm. ;)

Denny

Thread Status: Hello , this thread is over 3 years old. You can still reply if relevant, but sometimes it's better to create a new thread to get more replies!