flat tires a problem? i have a solution that works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just do what I do: Buy crappy mountain bikes off fb marketplace/craigslist with your wheel size for $10-20, swap your flats for the probably bald and crappy but NOT FLAT tires of the cheap bike, then resell the bike. Free, somewhat dangerous but usable tires!

why waste the time to change ( not to mention frustration) and space to carry gear if you are going on an adventure? i haven't changed a tire since i switched. besides when i want a different color, the regular tired bikes i haven't had a flat since, tires i use wear great if you don't skid and burn rubber. i live in the hood, i can get a flat every five feet if i wanna change tires. lol. i wanna ride though, worry free. these little two stroke motors run as hard and long as a weedeater. just do you maintenance on them and they will take ya where ever you wanna go care free.

Some solid/semi solid tubes would be nice. Sucks arse to ride on a completely flat front trying to get to an air pump. Other than my rear wheel shifting causing the chain to get thrown, flat tires are my most common issue. The rear wheel thing is a problem to the point that I don't ride without carrying a crescent wrench, a 15mm+3/8 ratchet, and a multi-tool at minimum. It's due to how I've mounted my banana seat, instead of a sissy bar I'm using the front shocks from an old mountain bike so the seat has some give. But when I ground down the bottom where it mounts to the axle it caused the "arms" that go around either side to have a tendancy to splay out causing the wheel to become not fully secure and the torque on the drive chain pulls the wheel forward.

i do what odd does sometimes, mostly on free bikes though, as winter is coming up, people are getting rid of "junk" they dont need, i personally go on craigslist and go around picking up free bikes that i use parts from (ie kids bikes have great hubs, and bearings, not to mention free steel!)
tires, i tend to buy maxxis (Cheng shin tires are the same thing, thats what i have on my motorized bikes) i prefer just to cough up the money on new ones. and then replace them when they get bald, (around every 2ish years) i mean, 50$ for 2 quality tires is worth it in my book.

i do what odd does sometimes, mostly on free bikes though, as winter is coming up, people are getting rid of "junk" they dont need, i personally go on craigslist and go around picking up free bikes that i use parts from (ie kids bikes have great hubs, and bearings, not to mention free steel!)
tires, i tend to buy maxxis (Cheng shin tires are the same thing, thats what i have on my motorized bikes) i prefer just to cough up the money on new ones. and then replace them when they get bald, (around every 2ish years) i mean, 50$ for 2 quality tires is worth it in my book.

for me, i'd rather spend 40 bucks once in three years and forget about it. no worrying, no times wasted chasing parts, no walking home from a flat, even if the armor gets punctured and you get a flat, the armor is a slow speed run flat. i went all year ( after i found this combo), thousands of miles now, not one flat. only reason the rim comes off, every 500 miles i grease the bearings again. those hours spent chasing parts for free, not to mention gas from the truck being burned, not worth it to me. i'm old, i wanna spend my time riding my bike, not fixing stuff i can make bullet proof for a few bucks. if you wanna do all that, i have no qualms with it. i just don't see it as being cost effective. ends up costing more in time and gas than you save just making them almost puncture proof. i'm sure someone is gonna eventully add a metal strip in between the armor and tire, making it just about invincible. an sir, if you really need to change tires because of wear as often as this post makes it seem, are those used tires really worth it, lol.

Last edited:
Some solid/semi solid tubes would be nice. Sucks arse to ride on a completely flat front trying to get to an air pump. Other than my rear wheel shifting causing the chain to get thrown, flat tires are my most common issue. The rear wheel thing is a problem to the point that I don't ride without carrying a crescent wrench, a 15mm+3/8 ratchet, and a multi-tool at minimum. It's due to how I've mounted my banana seat, instead of a sissy bar I'm using the front shocks from an old mountain bike so the seat has some give. But when I ground down the bottom where it mounts to the axle it caused the "arms" that go around either side to have a tendancy to splay out causing the wheel to become not fully secure and the torque on the drive chain pulls the wheel forward.

they make a no air tire that rocks!! it isn't like any other no air tire on the market. i love 'em. they come in all kinds of colors to match my bikes. they really suck in winter though, to slick when they harden up from below zero cold. they are really sweet in spring, summer, and fall though. easy to install too, they lock in real quick with a tool. just like a regular tire, they lock to the rim. i've had no problems with mine and they guarantee them to 5000 miles.

Ultimate flat tire solution? Moped tires and tubes. If you don't need the extra weight, strength, or added price of using the moped wheels they fit perfectly on 20" bicycle rims, maintain a ~23" OD so you don't lose too much top end but still gain more TQ, are DOT approved for high speeds, tread will last thousands of miles, and with a moped tube you will likely never get a flat on a motorized bicycle - its just too light to push most things through the heavier multi-ply tread and instead will just roll over it. Negatives are basically just extra weight and slightly lower top end. Acceleration stays around the same, the tire is heavier but also lower OD so effectively the more gearing helps compensate. Basically if you have a standard 26" adult frame its the same difference as a 26" wheel is to a 29". Also I'm sure there are likely wheel strength benefits for those running sprocket adapters or rag joints since the much shorter spokes have less stress to deal with during hard acceleration and turns.

Curious? What are the moped tires sizes, and how the rims numbers designated? Expected dollar costs?

Ultimate flat tire solution? Moped tires and tubes. If you don't need the extra weight, strength, or added price of using the moped wheels they fit perfectly on 20" bicycle rims, maintain a ~23" OD so you don't lose too much top end but still gain more TQ, are DOT approved for high speeds, tread will last thousands of miles, and with a moped tube you will likely never get a flat on a motorized bicycle - its just too light to push most things through the heavier multi-ply tread and instead will just roll over it. Negatives are basically just extra weight and slightly lower top end. Acceleration stays around the same, the tire is heavier but also lower OD so effectively the more gearing helps compensate. Basically if you have a standard 26" adult frame its the same difference as a 26" wheel is to a 29". Also I'm sure there are likely wheel strength benefits for those running sprocket adapters or rag joints since the much shorter spokes have less stress to deal with during hard acceleration and turns.

i don't want moped tires. i like my motorized bike to keep the bicycle apearance, even though they can do up to 50mph ( mine, some make theirs even faster). i regularly run 45mph and crusie long, long distances at 40mph. never had problem at all. tires are barely warm at all.

Curious? What are the moped tires sizes, and how the rims numbers designated? Expected dollar costs?
16" moped tires fit 20" bicycle wheels. Same size, they just measure differently (OD vs rim diameter). Most use simple rim size x width naming - doesn't get easier than that!

Roughly $30 a tire, which is CHEAPER than even many mid range bicycle tires.

i don't want moped tires. i like my motorized bike to keep the bicycle apearance, even though they can do up to 50mph ( mine, some make theirs even faster). i regularly run 45mph and crusie long, long distances at 40mph. never had problem at all. tires are barely warm at all.
Looks just like bicycle setup, OD is just a tiny bit smaller and a little bit wider. Many bicycle tires are wider than some moped tires - heck, my $99 Hyper stock tires are almost are wide as some moped tires. The moped tires are just DOT approved with thicker rubber. You can still use bicycle rims so still looks like a bike...and if you want to keep skinny tires on it they make narrow moped tires too but they are just MUCH stronger. Sava makes thin whitewalls that look like a 20" bicycle tire yet are still DOT 60mph rates and will last so much longer and safer at high speeds than bicycle tires while still costing less.

Just gotta convert to 20" BMX wheels - which are stronger than many 26" cruiser wheels anyway.

16" moped tires fit 20" bicycle wheels. Same size, they just measure differently (OD vs rim diameter). Most use simple rim size x width naming - doesn't get easier than that!

Roughly $30 a tire, which is CHEAPER than even many mid range bicycle tires.

Looks just like bicycle setup, OD is just a tiny bit smaller and a little bit wider. Many bicycle tires are wider than some moped tires - heck, my $99 Hyper stock tires are almost are wide as some moped tires. The moped tires are just DOT approved with thicker rubber. You can still use bicycle rims so still looks like a bike...and if you want to keep skinny tires on it they make narrow moped tires too but they are just MUCH stronger. Sava makes thin whitewalls that look like a 20" bicycle tire yet are still DOT 60mph rates and will last so much longer and safer at high speeds than bicycle tires while still costing less.

Just gotta convert to 20" BMX wheels - which are stronger than many 26" cruiser wheels anyway.
What moped tire will fit a 26" bicycle rim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back