flat tires a problem? i have a solution that works

Status
Not open for further replies.
What moped tire will fit a 26" bicycle rim?

Not many options for "26" bicycle wheels, which have an actual bead seat diameter of 22" (559mm/25.4)

Coker has some options, but they are expensive, not to mention heavy. Some are 28" overall diameter.

One might have better luck stepping down to a "24" bicycle rim, which is 20" actual diameter (507mm/25.4)

I have had good luck using the thicker tubes with the Slime in them for my mountain bike.
i use them in tandem with the tannus tire armor. haven't had a single flat since i switched over. no more slime for me, lol. i was using slime, but it doesn't help with broken liquor bottles. an glass is my main enemy in the hood.

So yeah I came into this discussion late. You all crack me up. Thanks for the laughs and information.
Anyway here's my no flat solution. I run a 26" 2.1 or 2.125 tire. Now I also buy sell trade and fix all manner of bikes on the side. So I get lots of free junk tires. I take 26" 1.95 worn out street/slick tire cut the bead off on both sides then stuff it inside the 2.125. Then mount it tube as normal. Cutting the bead off let's you fit it inside the good tire and the tube expand like normal.
The ride is smooth and the added weight is negligible. Plus I haven't had a flat in three years. I'd love to take credit for this but I can't. My immagarant neighbors from Puerto Rico showed me this. They used it on their gas bikes because apparently the roads in Puerto Rico sucked and getting new tubes and patch kits was pricey for them.
I used to raid the bike shops trash bin for old slicks before I built up my own stock pile. Now I offer this to some of my customers for a small fee for the time involved. Most take me up on it after they replace or repair a few flats.

So yeah I came into this discussion late. You all crack me up. Thanks for the laughs and information.
Anyway here's my no flat solution. I run a 26" 2.1 or 2.125 tire. Now I also buy sell trade and fix all manner of bikes on the side. So I get lots of free junk tires. I take 26" 1.95 worn out street/slick tire cut the bead off on both sides then stuff it inside the 2.125. Then mount it tube as normal. Cutting the bead off let's you fit it inside the good tire and the tube expand like normal.
The ride is smooth and the added weight is negligible. Plus I haven't had a flat in three years. I'd love to take credit for this but I can't. My immagarant neighbors from Puerto Rico showed me this. They used it on their gas bikes because apparently the roads in Puerto Rico sucked and getting new tubes and patch kits was pricey for them.
I used to raid the bike shops trash bin for old slicks before I built up my own stock pile. Now I offer this to some of my customers for a small fee for the time involved. Most take me up on it after they replace or repair a few flats.
This is a pretty common tip and it was mentioned in a different thread on here. Its a great tip if you don't mind the extra work, but keep in mind on long trips the tires will get much warmer with the second inner tire friction which weakens the inner tube. Some baby powder helps though - that's what motorcycle guys do when they run tubeless tires on tube spoke rims to reduce heat and friction.

FTR though, Puerto Ricans can't be immigrants - they are born US Citizens on US land. The can move to the mainland just as easy as we can move to a neighboring state.

True on both counts about friction and immigrant status.
As for friction and wear I do 11 miles one way up and down hills for work if I dont make any detours. I haven't had any unusual wear problems but that doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. I'll take the baby powder idea and dust a little in when I dismount my tire in a week or two for cleaning and inspection.
Ok maybe three weeks because I'll be lazy over the holidays.

I have found that the extra heavy duty tubes with Ride-On in them (regular tubes are about 1mm thick, the super heavy duty ones are 4mm thick. Ride-On is a sealant made for motorcycles, and is a lot more expensive than Slime, but works a lot better) will stop most puncture flats. Nothing I know of will stop tire damage from running over glass or sharp metal. I use Windex to install tires, so powder won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back