Flip Flop hub

Rob_E_Rob

Local time
5:49 AM
Has anyone used a flip-flop hub in their build? Seems like a great idea to me, but I was wondering what the pros and cons were. Any pictures?

Thanks!
Rob

Sorry, maybe I should clarify. A flip flop hub with a fixed sprocket for the motor drive on one side and your typical cassette/freewheel on the other side. All of this as a replacement/solution for the stock rag joint.

Hey Rob,

The flip flop hubs I've seen are threaded on both sides but are for the single speed crowd, so they can have two ratios without changing sprockets. The threads are right hand on both sides and you need a left hand thread on the left side. Staton makes such a hub but left hand freewheels are still an issue. ACS makes one but only in a 16 tooth and I don't recall if you can get a left hand flanged freewheel or not. Seems I may have seen one but I know not where.

I thought about flip flop hubs but your looking at about 150 for just the sprocket and hub. I think a freewheel /discbrake set up would be the way to go. Get a top-hat adapter and you could use a disc brake as well as the sprocket on the left. But if you are going for a freewheel on one side that means gears..just get a shift kit.??
Cheers

Yeah, you know the more I look into this, the more I am starting to realize that while I was trying to simplify things, I may just be re-inventing the wheel. No pun intended. I think a shift kit may be cheaper and simpler in the long run. I'm still open to suggestions though.

Rob

hey guys, I'm planning on purchasing a fixed bicycle from a friend. however I want to be able to coast and not constantly pedaling. Does a flip-flop hub allow you to coast and not constantly pedal? If this doesnt work, can someone help with a solution i love the look of the bike.......

Staton Inc, does have some nice hubs. However, My question is whats the difference between a 12 tooth vs 15 tooth vs a 22 tooth hub?

I'm assuming you're asking about different size sprockets or freewheels that can be attached to the hub. Staton now has a left side shift kit that comes off their gearbox.

The different sprocket or freewheel sizes allow you to adjust for the type of terrain you'll be riding on. Low ratios for hills; high ratios for speed.

Back