Florida law that may help you understand

what does this mean ?

On consideration of the foregoing it is clear that the Legislature intended, by its comprehensive action in enacting Ch. 76-286, Laws of Florida, classifying motor-propelled bicycles or 'mopeds' as bicycles and determining how they were to be regulated on a uniform state-wide basis, to require that moped operators or riders be treated as bicycle operators or riders uniformly throughout the state and in all the municipalities therein. The Legislature by enactment of Ch. 316, as amended aforesaid, and by making it unlawful to enact, and prohibiting the enactment or enforcement of, any traffic ordinances in conflict therewith has effectively preempted the regulation of bicycle/mopeds to the state. Furthermore, because moped operators had, prior to such action, been required to wear the same protective devices as other motorcycle riders according to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, the reclassifying of mopeds as bicycles clearly demonstrates that the Legislature intended that moped riders be relieved of the requirements of wearing such protective devices throughout the state.

The Legislature defines a moped as a bicycle in s. 316.003, F. S., and changed the definition of 'bicycle,' 'motorcycle,' and 'motor-driven cycles' and excludes motor-propelled bicycles or 'mopeds' from the definition of 'motor vehicle,' 'motor-driver cycles,' and 'vehicle' by Ch. 76-286, Laws of Florida, as reference to the title thereof clearly discloses, and provides regulations for such motor-propelled bicycles or 'mopeds' in s. 316.111, F. S. In the latter section the Legislature provided special regulations in subsections (14) and (15) applicable only to the operation of
bicycle/mopeds. More

On consideration of the foregoing it is clear that the Legislature intended, by its comprehensive action in enacting Ch. 76-286, Laws of Florida, classifying motor-propelled bicycles or 'mopeds' as bicycles and determining how they were to be regulated on a uniform state-wide basis, to require that moped operators or riders be treated as bicycle operators or riders uniformly throughout the state and in all the
municipalities therein.
Debra
Floyd
Daytona Beach Police

Under 21 need license maybe??????

Disclaimer
Please be advised David Sisung is in no way, shape or form responsible for any damages, injuries, mishaps accidents or death caused by the use or operation of these motorized bikes.

ummmm

not trying to be smart, but can someone put this in plain english please:eek: would like to know if i need a license to ride my motorized bike?

Last edited:
It would be awesome if a BUNCH of 12 year old kids were out riding motorized bikes, because you can't license them.

My ride is not a Moped, or even a Motorized Bicycle! I have a NON-Motorized bicycle with a Self-Propelled trailer. Best part is, there is NO laws about self-propelled trailers! NONE, ZERO, ZIP! The laws are not open to interpretation, it either is against the law if mentioned, or it's not.

Trying to place something that fits in NO category is interpretation, and not actually following the law.

I love my ride. I can take the trailer off any time and ride my bike, and re-attach the trailer when I want to. There's nothing against the law about BEATING THE SYSTEM!

Hey, why don't you get you a gas trailer for your electric bike, I promise you will love it.

My ride is not a Moped, or even a Motorized Bicycle! I have a NON-Motorized bicycle with a Self-Propelled trailer. Best part is, there is NO laws about self-propelled trailers! NONE, ZERO, ZIP! The laws are not open to interpretation, it either is against the law if mentioned, or it's not.

Trying to place something that fits in NO category is interpretation, and not actually following the law.

I love my ride. I can take the trailer off any time and ride my bike, and re-attach the trailer when I want to. There's nothing against the law about BEATING THE SYSTEM!

Hey, why don't you get you a gas trailer for your electric bike, I promise you will love it.

Self-Propelled trailer = Does NOT provide motion to the bicycle.
If you are using that trailer to provide motion to the bicycle... (i.e. It is part of the drive train (e.g connected the frame), while you are riding the bicycle, then you are in possession of a moped)

I'm also betting that you have a valid drivers license, so that even IF it would be considered a moped, it is still legal for you to ride it.
(Just because you can't register it as a Moped for Traffic Law regulations, that does NOT mean it's not considered a Moped under Driver License Law.)

Self-Propelled trailer = Does NOT provide motion to the bicycle.

That's simply your uneducated interpretation. NOWHERE stated by law. The law has no mention of bicycle trailers AT ALL, like I just said! If my trailer is self propelled, how would it go without the bicycle? The trailer does not go by itself, LOL!

sangesf said:
If you are using that trailer to provide motion to the bicycle... (i.e. It is part of the drive train (e.g connected the frame), while you are riding the bicycle, then you are in possession of a moped)

Wrong again. The Drivetrain or Powertrain is not a frame in any form. My drivetrain is my Clutch, Belt, Pulley, and Axle on the trailer. The bicycle does not have drivetrain powered by the engine at all.
Wikipedia said:
In a motor vehicle, the term powertrain or powerplant refers to the group of components that generate power and deliver it to the road surface, water, or air. This includes the engine, transmission, driveshafts, differentials, and the final drive

sangesf said:
I'm also betting that you have a valid drivers license, so that even IF it would be considered a moped, it is still legal for you to ride it.
(Just because you can't register it as a Moped for Traffic Law regulations, that does NOT mean it's not considered a Moped under Driver License Law.)

Regardless if I have a valid license or not, there are LOTS of people out there riding that would LOVE to have a license, but until they get a job, they can't afford one. Just because you lost your license, doesn't mean you have to be jealous of other people that have transportation that does not require one. Instead, be proud of them and learn from them. Are you out to ruin the MB cause?

Are you teaming up with diveondyck to bring this forum down?

I WILL DEFEND MBC AND OUR RIGHTS TO RIDE!

Last edited:
That's simply your uneducated interpretation. NOWHERE stated by law. The law has no mention of bicycle trailers AT ALL, like I just said! If my trailer is self propelled, how would it go without the bicycle? The trailer does not go by itself, LOL!

Wrong again. The Drivetrain or Powertrain is not a frame in any form. My drivetrain is my Clutch, Belt, Pulley, and Axle on the trailer. The bicycle does not have drivetrain powered by the engine at all.

Regardless if I have a valid license or not, there are LOTS of people out there riding that would LOVE to have a license, but until they get a job, they can't afford one. Just because you lost your license, doesn't mean you have to be jealous of other people that have transportation that does not require one. Instead, be proud of them and learn from them. Are you out to ruin the MB cause?

Are you teaming up with diveondyck to bring this forum down?

I WILL DEFEND MBC AND OUR RIGHTS TO RIDE!

ROTFLMAO... Are you NUTS?!?!?

Ok, let's take your ENTIRE argument in one big fell swoop...

If you're not using the trailer (and we BOTH know it's a PUSH trailer, and the fact, that you're not stating the fact that you're using the trailer to PUSH the BICYCLE is conspicuous - but lets says it's NOT!) Lets say you're using the trailer for something else... YOU are controlling it, whether by Throttle or Clutch or whatever (I don't care if it's even a remote control).. The FACT is, if YOU are controlling it, and YOU'RE riding the part that it's motorizing OR being pushed by it, then you are RIDING it also, and it utilizes a Gas engine,so.. YOU NEED A DRIVERS LICENSE!
You keep saying I'm bending my arguments to fit the law, but some (if not EVERYONE) would say, that YOU are "trying" to skirt the law, instead of following it, JUST so that you can be a rebel.

Lets face it, what it ALL boils down to is the fact, that since the motor of that ENTIRE contraption (bike and "trailer") is not necessarily within 3 feet of you, that YOU consider it a separate entity. We ALL know, you're full of it. Hate to tell you but law is SUPPOSED to be interpretive, and you are aware that any NORMAL person would consider it ONE vehicle, whether or not you want them to think it is not.

Oh and since you love definitions from Wikipedia, you might like this one...

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Trailer (vehicle), an unpowered vehicle pulled by a powered vehicle

I didn't want to turn it into an argument, but you want to go there. Just face facts, you're bike/"trailer" would be considered at least a Moped, if not a Motorcycle (given it's CC's) or maybe even an "automobile" (given it utilizes 4 wheels)

My .02

Back