Florida Laws

Hey Gene,

As i've said b4, I too have registered my gas motor bicycle as a moped, been so for about 2 years. I'm just trying to clarify things for those who dont have a tag and are worried about the legal issues.

But of course, Florida Law is still vague about this subject.

St. Lucie County Sheriffs Dept Pamphlet... NO, NO, NO... TL-10 April 2011...

Say hay children... what does it all mean? :) lol!

:)

I think by finding that Pamphlet you have done us a great service. Even if you have to go to that county to get a tag at least you have provided the DMV with the Law that the Sheriff is following. All the naysayers for the past two years can stick that in their pipe.

I think by finding that Pamphlet you have done us a great service. Even if you have to go to that county to get a tag at least you have provided the DMV with the Law that the Sheriff is following. All the naysayers for the past two years can stick that in their pipe.

"All the naysayers for the past two years can stick that in their pipe."

---> Hard, really hard!!! lol :)

Naysayers have been "fighting" me/us for a while now.

The law is supposed to change, from "electric motorized bicycle" to "motorized bicycle.

IF it does change, no registration is required and the suspended license folk will get a repreive.

But until then, the way I see it, registration is required!!!

I'm still confused. TL-10 states that you can not register your mb. But I was pulled over for no tag. I wish this state would make a "real" decision on this. When is that law suppose to change? I'm looking forward to putting the motor back on my bike. Be safe!

I'm still confused. TL-10 states that you can not register your mb. But I was pulled over for no tag. I wish this state would make a "real" decision on this. When is that law suppose to change? I'm looking forward to putting the motor back on my bike. Be safe!
Do yourself a favor drive up to Punta Gorda to the DMV on taylor street and register your Moped. Yes the state says you cannot register your MB but you can register your moped. You will need the serial number off the crank of the bike and a bill of sale that you make up stating color. If asked you say it is a moped with pedals. And you want a tag to avoid problems with the police.' Never say you have a bicycle but offer that it is a homemade moped. And bring a copy of the Saint Lucie Sheriff's Pamphlet if you need it. And Stick to your guns!!!! you want a tag for your MOPED.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor drive up to Punta Gorda to the DMV on taylor street and register your Moped. Yes the state says you cannot register your MB but you can register your moped. You will need the serial number off the crank of the bike and a bill of sale that you make up stating color. If asked you say it is a moped with pedals. And you want a tag to avoid problems with the police.' Never say you have a bicycle but offer that it is a homemade moped. And bring a copy of the Saint Lucie Sheriff's Pamphlet if you need it. And Stick to your guns!!!! you want a tag for your MOPED.

Hi All,

I contacted St. Lucie County Sheriffs Office, and this is their (email) response as of today 3/7/12 (copy and pasted), and just confirmed via phone conversation:

Mark Weinberg
Public Information Officer
Ken J. Mascara, Sheriff of St. Lucie County, Florida
St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office
4700 West Midway Road
Fort Pierce, FL 34981-4825
http://www.stluciesheriff.com
772-201-0264
weinbergm@stluciesheriff.com
Sir:
I researched the questions you asked me in our phone conversation earlier today.
The pamphlet "Basic requirements bicycles to motorcycles" that is available at the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office website http://www.stluciesheriff.com is up to date and accurate.
It was written in 2011.
The laws the pamphlet refers to have not changed for the last several years.
The relevant Florida statutes are listed by statute number and subject in the pamphlet.
(end of quote)

Although this appears to be the case, I still think this is a grey area.

I look forward to the forums constructive comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I find it odd at the lack of interest on the topic.

Here is correspondence from one fl sheriffs to one electric MBer:

Originally Posted by ****ESF

Here is the e-mail I received from Mr. Weinberg's Supervisor..
The asterisk then refers to the bottom of the flier explaining that per Florida law (which can be found under 316.460 Equipment regulations for mopeds.* No person may operate a moped that does not conform to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards relating to lights and safety and other equipment contained in Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.*
Now if you want to add the motor to a bike and present it to the proper authorities that federally regulate and inspect the production of vehicles and if you receive an approval that the vehicle meets all the criteria, they may issue a number and permit for the vehicle to be considered production and for title.* This must then be taken to the appropriate agency for consideration which may allow for it to be titled and possibly registered.* This process will more than likely take years for approval.
This required process basically will keep any bicycle powered by an engine or motor, homemade built and not mass produced, from being recognized as a moped and the Tax Office will follow the same ruling and not issue a registration.*
For further federal information:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has established safety standards by which all vehicles
used on a highway must be constructed. The Federal Code of Regulations Title 49, Part 567, requires the
manufacturer to place a label on the vehicle indicating compliance with these safety regulations. Below is the link for this site if you wish to read on.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/maninfo/mcpkg002.pdf
I hope this assists you.

Here are my thoughts:

My gut feel/ thoughts:

A. is that the above is correct, and the flyer on the topic by St. Lucie County FL Sheriffs Dept MAY unfortunately need to be amended.

B. Those Gas MBers who registered them legitimately years ago as Mopeds at the time of registration are grandfathered in.

ADD:
And its STILL A GREY AREA, (for some Gas MB - Moped Individuals) because of the DOT Issues not having been dealt with at the time of registration.
(End of Add)

C. It would be great if the word "electric" would be removed from the statutes, I guess we are all still waiting on Jeff Arnetts efforts and the MB Community to having the law amended. (no reg, no plate, no licence)

D. (This sheriffs office representative is WRONG in saying that title is required btw.)

I am not an Attorney, but thats my 2 cents.

What do you guys think - anyone?..., anyone?

Mopeds are not titled in Florida. The supervisor should have known this. You have to go to the Feds to get a certificate if you are a manufacturer. As I have said countless times you can make a homemade moped as you can make a homemade motorcycle. With Motorcycles the DMV will require an inspection. This is done all the time. With my moped they did not and issued the tag as long as the moped had pedals and all the other blaa blaa blaa.

You lament about the lack of interest but how many readers actually went down to the DMV and tried to get a tag? Lazy? ya think? What about this guy Toms he can drive up to Punta Gorda and go to the same DMV office I did to get mine.

I like to do not just talk about it.

Hey Gene. If you remember correctly, I don't have a license. That makes driving out of the question. I can't register anything without a license, and getting mine back is going to take some time. Get off my back! I want to see the law changed so people like me don't wind up in jail like I did for driving without a license. There are a lot of people that built mb's because they lost their license; (like myself) and have to get back and forth to work. Let's stop the BS about registration and get the stupid laws changed. That's my two cents!

Hey Gene. If you remember correctly, I don't have a license. That makes driving out of the question. I can't register anything without a license, and getting mine back is going to take some time. Get off my back! I want to see the law changed so people like me don't wind up in jail like I did for driving without a license. There are a lot of people that built mb's because they lost their license; (like myself) and have to get back and forth to work. Let's stop the BS about registration and get the stupid laws changed. That's my two cents!
No I didn't remember you didn't have a license. And I am not on your back. There are many here that like to talk the talk but never walk the walk. As far as the law being changed the problem is there is no active lobby force. Think how stupid it is that electric is ok but internal combustion is not. What can even be the reason for that. Just Bureaucrats acting as usual as control freaks. You would think that all these advertisers would have a business association with a lobbying arm. After all it would be a benefit to them in the long run. I do take exception with you about the "BS about registration". Those of us that do have a DL can get a tag as a moped and that is not BS. The Sheriff's flier is further proof.

Mopeds are not titled in Florida. The supervisor should have known this. You have to go to the Feds to get a certificate if you are a manufacturer. As I have said countless times you can make a homemade moped as you can make a homemade motorcycle. With Motorcycles the DMV will require an inspection. This is done all the time. With my moped they did not and issued the tag as long as the moped had pedals and all the other blaa blaa blaa.

You lament about the lack of interest but how many readers actually went down to the DMV and tried to get a tag? Lazy? ya think? What about this guy Toms he can drive up to Punta Gorda and go to the same DMV office I did to get mine.

I like to do not just talk about it.

Hey Gene,

If you recall I am in the same boat you are in - having a registered moped.

I think the MBers who are in Toms shoes - w/o a DL are pushing for the legislation to change.

I still feel a little bit uncomfortable riding my moped as I think it is still a grey area of the law, even with all we have - a DL, registered and tagged. The DOT issues are what concerns me. Are we indeed "grandfathered in"?

(Obviously i'd like to see the word "electric" removed as well, confirming it to be 100% legal.)

sigh...

Back