Flying Horse Nightmare Intro

wildbill23c

Local time
1:27 AM
Joined in hopes of finding some help regarding a Flying Horse engine that loves to break engine mounting studs.

Engine is mounted in an early 2000's Huffy 10 speed 26" A-style frame bicycle. Or rather was mounted.

Enjoy the 2 stroke engine rides and was hoping to be able to do a little light trail riding this year if I can get the engine repaired or direction to proceed on repairs. I'll start a new thread on the current problems.

I live about 30 miles west o

I presume 6mm studs? They make engines with 8mm studs they won't break. Try mounting at a different angle or drilling and tapping for a different size. Does your bike look like this? I think this is a huffy but it's an 18 speed.
3hp.jpeg

the studs breaking? or the case. get stainless studs, maybe from monsterbolts.com, put a square of innertube between the frame n mount. rear mount as low as u can have it,, check chain tension often.
can you post pics?

I presume 6mm studs? They make engines with 8mm studs they won't break. Try mounting at a different angle or drilling and tapping for a different size. Does your bike look like this? I think this is a huffy but it's an 18 speed.View attachment 87583
Yes, same bicycle frame style as my Huffy. I'm going to try and drill and retap for a different size and skip the mounting stud mess and just use regular bolts...otherwise I'll try and build a different type of mount because as it is right now its not going back on there until I have a proper fix.

the studs breaking? or the case. get stainless studs, maybe from monsterbolts.com, put a square of innertube between the frame n mount. rear mount as low as u can have it,, check chain tension often.
can you post pics?

The studs themselves are snapping off and the last one was inside the case and caused case damage trying to remove it. I did the innertube between the frame and mount when I first installed the engine when it was new. Rear mount I had just about down to the pedal crank housing. Chain tension was never an issue and was actually looking at changing to a better quality tensioner before this last stud broke off. I'll try and get the bike and engine dug back out of the shed this weekend and get some pictures of what's going on to better shed light on my situation. Thank you for the information.

Check the frame near the BB for cracks, could save you a terrible spill.

Thanks, no frame cracks so far. Weather decided it wanted to be cold and rainy this week so waiting for warmer weather so I can get the bike dug out and start working on it and get some pictures of the problem.

Back