Flying horse

T

TerryUlrich

I have a flying horse 5G friction mount Lock and Load engine kit ordered and also have a Kent t29 Thruster bike ordered to install it on..

does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this build on what I might run into for problems

I have a flying horse 5G friction mount Lock and Load engine kit ordered and also have a Kent t29 Thruster bike ordered to install it on..

does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this build on what I might run into for problems

Hello Terry. I have the smaller 38cc version on a similar bike, a Genesis 29G. I had no real issues with the kit with the only exception being that the engine is slightly angled downwards toward the front of the bike but these kits were intended for 26" bikes primarily. It has not affected anything adversely but it makes it necessary to raise the front wheel a bit off of the ground to get an exact oil level reading from the dipstick. I have broke mine in and have 186.3 miles on my bike currently. I bought some flat stock that I plan to soon drill and add to the front mount that attaches behind the seat and connects to the front of the friction drive assembly to level it all out.

I did have to go through trial and error on my bike to find the correct amount of downward pressure to apply to my rear tire. Too little and the drive will slip, to much and the unit seems more noisy and less powerful and sluggish. I set my unit onto the tire (MTB tire) between lugs and press down enough to be firm but not indent the tire very much. On a MTB it is a bit noisy as it rolls over the knobs on the tire but it isn't excessively loud. That being said I cannot imagine the roller, knobby tire interaction is health on the China bearings so I am pricing equivalent sized street tires.

I cannot speak for the performance of the 5G unit which is 49cc, but I am pleased with the performance of the smaller one I purchased. I pedal to around 7 to 8 miles an hour and feather the throttle up as I am pedaling. My set up on straight roads will power it self after I get it rolling comfortably and I usually go around 18 mph but it will reach as configured 20.8 on level ground which is better than my average pedal only speed on level ground which is 13.6. I did run wide open throttle once on level ground and achieved 23.1 but I don't think the little engine would last long with that. This is no speed machine but it will get you down the road at a really good pace and on hills you will pedal some but the engine working with you makes it a breeze.

I hope this helps you some. I can't wait to hear how it goes for you. :)

Last edited:
Back