Flywheel modification

PsychDoc

Local time
2:03 PM
Here is the result of way more work than is reasonable for a $20 part. So what works and what didn’t-
Removing the fins- use a hammer- sack them quite hard and “snap” off they come. Trying to cut them was a pain, the hammer works well.
Sanding- put the thing on an engine and run- this does not work well- tried the engine running and ‘sanding’ with an angel grinder- no good. Maybe a more aggressive disk would have been better. Tried a sanding block- too slow. It may have worked but it was slow going. So what I ended up doing was pulling the flywheel back off, again, and using the angle grinder to get close. Don’t stay in one place long. When I was close to flat I switched to a sanding block to avoid dips. Now that it’s almost there I put it back on the motor to get a ‘final’ surfacing. Pull it back off and’polish’ on the bench.
It still needs some work, but it’s close now. So... two questions.
I’m thinking about filling the wonky holes in the middle with job weld or???
Where do I get a rope winding pull thing? And what is that called.

Attachments

• 4E0F1937-8329-4BF3-A954-109201892649.jpeg
    4E0F1937-8329-4BF3-A954-109201892649.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 159
The recoil rope pull starter attaches to the 4 large middle tabs that you ground off lol.

You might start it with a drill with a hardened nut or put a lever on the 3d clutch to pedal start

I bought some socket adapters for my Ryobi drill that has torque settings. Been using it to put body panels on. Should work to turn the engine with a strong drill.

The recoil rope pull starter attaches to the 4 large middle tabs that you ground off lol.
🙄 I am aware- the recoil is a big plastic eyesore. Part of why I ground the whole thing down.
With the 3D manual clutch clutch I should be able to pedal and pop to start.
Ralph; I have been using a chordless drill to start the engine I use for the sanding- works great. But who wants to tote a chordless drill around?
I have seen plenty of guys using a small pully? Cup? That one can simply wrap a chord around and give a yank. Simple. Easy.
PS- seems very well balanced- runs very smoothly

What if you cut the teeth from a hole saw, drill the center and bolt that on to wrap the cord around? Or have a washer welded to a pipe maybe. The predator engines have the cup but it locks with a triangle cut out then on to plastic fins and then on to the fly wheel.

Last edited:
starter cup pulley on a search threw up alot of places to buy them.

you may have a few layinbg around unbeknownst to you doc

take the one off of your lawnmorer then cross that bridge next spring?

:D

Back