Fold Ups??

ok i got it last night and so far i am 100% happy with it....very quiet fast sturdy 2 freewheels only complaint the clutch will make a whinning sound for a min but stops soon after it is started....started 2nd pull i love it when things go that easy....grndslm get one youll love it

Electric vs. gas engine

You might want to research electric engines before you invest in one.

I think they are more trouble/expense than they are worth. At first, I was going to go electric until I did research.

Electric is OK if you only want to go about 10-12 miles per charge, then you will have to wait till it's charged back up. There is also the weight of each battery to consider, heavier being cheaper. The new lithium ion batteries are much smaller but will cost you an arm and a leg, try around $2,200. That's the price a customer paid from a local bike shop. (The owner told me about it. He thinks it's not very smart and so do I.)

Seth, I was responding to post #9 in this thread

Well, if you're going with a folding bike... you have to get a rack-mounted 2-stroke. Rack because it won't fold [easily] if it's on the frame, and 2-stroke because oil will leak out of the crankcase with a 4-stroke that is tucked in an RV or something. Also, if you ever wanted to bring the bike on a plane... they don't allow used 4-strokes to come on the plane for this very reason -- leaking oil.

As for the motor I'm getting... it'd prolly be 30ccs to 40ccs, maybe even electric. I'd prolly go for the quietest engine I could find, really. For gas, I've heard of a Mitsubishi 42cc engine that's pretty quiet, but I'm sure it can't compare to a silent, brushless electric hub.

I'm going to enjoy the 30day money back guarantee with the bike, and just pedal for the first couple months at least. Then I'll prolly get the Mitsubishi 42cc or an electric hub w/battery. I just wanna ride for now, tho!! Come on UPS!!!

Hi Seth,

The above post by grndslm is what I responded to. Sorry, probably should have quoted him in my first post.

Mary

oh haha i guess i shuld have read back im sorry...but yes i agree battery powered bikes will be the thing to have in the up coming years but now gas is the most efficent

You might want to research electric engines before you invest in one.
I knew a lot more about electric bikes before I came to this place for knowledge from more mechanically inclined people than myself. I prolly would have done something like someone else had suggested and gone real simple with just a battery, hub, & push button and not even worry about variable throttle.

I think they are more trouble/expense than they are worth.
Prolly so, but newer technologies actually come to be because of progress and return on their investment from initial enthusiasts, early adopters. I have seen kits for under $500, and WalMart sells a completely built electric bike for less than that. Either way, Ebikes could never be more troublesome than gas engines... only slightly more expensive if you look in the right places.

Electric is OK if you only want to go about 10-12 miles per charge... then you will have to wait till it's charged back up.
I have heard of better claims than that, and speeds aren't that bad either. But recharging does suck. You can carry a spare, but that's more $$. I don't doubt that range would drop to 10 miles after 6 mo to a yr of use tho... THAT's why batteries suck. There's a newer brand of AA & AAA batteries out called Eneloop that hold charges for loooong times, but they're certainly not the right size for bikes yet.

The new lithium ion batteries are much smaller but will cost you an arm and a leg, try around $2,200.
That's definitely expensive. I've heard of much better prices, tho. Either way, if you have local laws regulating motored bikes, electric bikes are your only hope to avoid the hassle from the man. Too bad I don't care about the man and his unjust laws; I'll prolly end up buying the same bike Seth just got.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i got it last night and so far i am 100% happy with it....very quiet fast sturdy 2 freewheels only complaint the clutch will make a whinning sound for a min but stops soon after it is started....started 2nd pull i love it when things go that easy....grndslm get one youll love it
Sounds awesome!!

So, the engine is a WindJammer or something like that? Any model number? How loud is it after the whining dies out? Does the clutch whine every startup?

Also... close-up pics or it didn't happen!!

I do have some more questions for ya, and I'll prolly send my bike back tomorrow...

To make sure we're on the same page, by two freewheels, you mean when the engine is off... pedaling is completely normal with no drag?? That's just amazing to me.

Everything on the bike seems tight, too?? Esp. around the folding lock areas, right?!? All the locks on my bike were amazing, but the crank was loose... and I actually think they left off a part of the crank.

And it looks like there is a cover on the crank's flywheel to protect your pants, is it metal or plastic?

The tires are also wide like most 20" tires, right? The front tire on my Downtube was way too thin, and they are street tires. I'd prefer the knobby tires.

Gosh, I might as well just go ahead and order now!

I have seen kits for under $500, and WalMart sells a completely built electric bike for less than that. Either way, Ebikes could never be more troublesome than gas engines... only slightly more expensive if you look in the right places.

Most of the time, you get what you pay for.

Back