Fooey on Hoots - clutch bell destructed after 60 miles

New Hoot shim bearing

I got the new Hoot shim bearing which is made of some sort of light alloy. I've attached a picture of it. I've not bothered using it because the old one looks good enough. I've packed the shim with lithium grease which hopefully will stay in there in enough quantity to serve as permanent lubrication. Reading about the brittle or soft nature of the gear cogwheels is very disturbing and I wouldn't want to set up the home blacksmiths solution described above just because I firmly believe that for the price they ask for the gearbox it should be suitable for the purposes for which it is intended. Far better to keep harassing your supplier until eventually something is done at source to rectify the problem. I now firmly believe in the tackiest lithium grease you can find as the best GB lubrication. The Hoot GB is an experiment for me and I am not expecting much from it which means my level of resentment might be lowered along with my expectations but I still think I'll blow my top when the gearbox blows its top. My guess is that it will lose gear teeth and then disintegrate or the bell housing will split off from the shaft and it will disintegrate that way. I still haven't run the kit because I haven't found a bike that fits that fixed length engine mounting tray and my aesthetic sensibilities won't allow me to mount a 4-stroke on a mountain bike frame.
I'll probably use one of the chinese cruisers specially made for these kits when they arrive in Australia sometime soon. They have a front disc brake and a rear drum brake and rear V-brake and 14g spokes. Also need to get the right sprocket for the Hoot cos, just like the Grubee, it comes with a rear sprocket 6 to 8 teeth too large. I now know that a Grubee\Honda goes best on a 48T and a Grubee\HS on a 50T. Does anyone know the best size for the Hoot\HS? It certainly is less than 44T it comes with that's for sure.

Attachments

• Bush2.jpg
    Bush2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 235
  • Bush3.jpg
    Bush3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 221
  • PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 246
Last edited by a moderator:
Back