For starters, I have a "forward pedal" 7 speed beach cruiser...

Frankenstein, thanks for your approval.
I called one of the motorized bike part websites not long ago and asked a some questions...
At first I really would've liked to put a 4 stroke for power and no mess fueling, but I was thinking about how big it would be underneath me, I would also need to fit a "transmission" of some sort.
The now "more convenient for me" 2 stoke would have more get-up-and-go, is smaller and has the "transmision" internal. Yes it makes more noise but I figure I could just put a longer muffler. I also heard the 2 strokes were easier compatible for the jackshaft kit.

How does all of this sound to you? PLease tell me.

Thanks,
-NOOB
It sounds like you don't know what you exactly want from a bike. The transmission is just part of the system that adapts the motor to the bike, on a commonly made 4 stroke theres going to be a reduction somewhere on anything it powers. The 2 stroke has it built in but that comes at the cost of a happy time (read: mostly not happy and lots of fixing time) so if you like the size of it and are daring enough for the challenge (probably best not to add to the list of those while attending college but I digress) then go for it.

From maniacal sorry mechanical point of view the 4 shouldn't be any harder to jackshaft as a 2 stroke, it's just 2 strokes get all the attention because they are the most popular (you hear that kc?)

If you want the reliability then go for 4 and be done with it, you'll end up hating it less if you do, also you can hold a grocery bag full of ramen noodles in your left hand and still ride the bike without fiddling with a clutch lever.

Thank you 5-7, for your exstensive description. I will try to make sense of it all and hopefully the "gods will smile upon me" and I will have the most compatible forks on my bike.
You said this: "Measure the diameter of the steerer tube; It should be 25.4mm(1") or 28.6mm(1.125").
Measure the diameter of the steerer tube at its base.
It should be 26.4mm or 27mm on a 1" tube."
I got a little confused on this because you gave 4 different measurements.
The "steerer tube" is attached to forks correct?

I remember I took apart a bike once and I had to remove the cups/races at the top and bottom of tube.
Do I have to do that in order to make my measurements?

You are right about the "local" bike shop, I tried to tell them that I wanted some rims that had disc brakes on them that were for a 7 speed.
They showed me a pair of rims that were the quick release type, without the gears, that were compatible to the cassette type gears.
I have the freewheel type gear on my rear rim that I was hoping I could transfer over to the new rim.
Also I was thinking that the quick release type of axle might be less strong than a conventional type, for motorized purposes?

Thanks again,
-NOOB

Yes, the steerer tube is the shaft atop the fork.

You could measure right above the bottom bearing.
That'd be the crown, which is a fraction of a millimeter
larger than the steerer tube.

This vendor might have the threaded 7-speed disc brake hub you want.
It is a rare item:
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=320

Ya might have to end up with the
standard 7-speed cassette hub w/disc brake like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Shimano...092421&hash=item2cadae162a:g:jtIAAOSwLnBXWXrf

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back