For those of us interested in the old motored bikes,,,

Im not sure but I think thats the guy who is selling cyclemotors on ebay .. a Riva like on the site is up for £500 (which if I had a brain I would have bought and given up on the one I built...)

Jemma xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting site with great links.
In many ways we think were pioneers in this field but it's all been done before...ages ago and possibly even better.................possibly. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Norman Cyclemate on page 5 :)

Yes I know it was supposed to be a dog, but I much prefer its bicycle-like appearance as compared with the later period pressed sheetmetal mopeds available from other makers.

For me...The first Ducati gasoline (petrol) engine on page 7, the puppy. :D
It was a 4 stroke with valve operation by pull rods not push rods.

Before and during WWII Ducati manufactured cameras, radios and electronic componets.

The 1922 Labinal Micromoteur on page 21 is delightful too :D
I just love that 'bacon slicer' flywheel. My mind is already ticking over, - I've got a bare Villiers engine, just the crankcase, barrel, crankshaft, conrod and piston. Turning up a boss to carry a flywheel is easy-peasy; find an old circular saw blade, cut off the teeth and rivet on mild steel 'cheeks'. Turn it all true and lovely in the lathe and Bob's your Uncle :)
Magnetos are harder to find these days, but not impossible. Could be a lovely project to keep me amused over the Winter......

That wee Ducati engine is a stunner OldPete. A perfect example of the Italian approach to engine design. The 'Elvish' itself is delightful though and I love the logo.

Sianelle,
Ah, the Labinal with the bacon slicer flywheel. Guzzi used them, albeit much thicker, with their 250 & 500cc horizontal singles.

An exposed flywheel permits a smaller, lighter, stronger, stiffer crankcase with less material used in production (alloy was expensive at one time). For a 2 smoke less crankcase volume is generally a plus too. A thin large diameter flywheel offers good inertial mass with less weight. A big plus for a front mounted bicycle engine or so I would think, even though the gas tank is nearly bar mounted.

Good stuff indeed! :)

Back