For What it is Worth - Raleigh Gruv 2 CF

A Throttle Comment

One item that required minor custom work was the Sinz brake lever I use as a throttle and how it fits with the Shimano Quick-Fire shifter. The Sinz clamp needed to be filed to be compatible with the bulky shifters and be in efficient riding position position.

Outside of that and drilling out the rack attachment on the seat-post tube for the side rack (or racks as I may add one opposite and remove the center strap next spring) and a longer throttle cable, this CF bike was a snap to put together. May also add a copper elbow and silicon hose "muffler" in spring. If I can locate appropriate hose. The Tanaka 3300 is not too loud, but quiet is nice.

Here is larger pic.

Attachments

• Gruv2Biggera.jpg
    Gruv2Biggera.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 1,485
:cool:Hive, with your seat so high, are your feet still able to plant flatly on the ground?

Seat Height

Actually, the seat looks high, but it is not, as the pedals are more forward, so the feet sit on ground flat, easily.

That is the the idea of a CF geometry and also makes for more powerful pedaling without need to stand on pedals, although that is possible.

The oddly curved unisex bar and low bars (I turned them down a good 6 inches) makes the seat appear high. Am guessing it is about 3 inches lower than on my cruiser frame or a MTB.

Moreover, the T-3300 engine sits lower than the 4-cycle did, and the seat is also lower, compared to engine height. It was necessary to tilt mount back a bit more from vertical to keep engine from rubbing against my rear-end. On the Trek cruiser, seat was just above or even with top of higher engine and the mount was closer to vertical. It all adds up, or down, depending on which way you look at it

When I stop, I just drop feet to ground and sit there until time to move. Center of gravity is way lower now and sharp turns are much easier to control.

On cruiser, I had to tilt bike and "tippy-toe it" otherwise. Very comfortable arrangement.

If I have time, will take pic of my bod mounted on bike to better illustrate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crank Forward

I was going to enter pic with my feet on ground, but decided that would not explain the unique crank forward (CF) geometry. Here is better description, I trust.

The pic should help explain why one can easily place feet flat on ground with crank forward design, and why power pedaling is easier with no standing.

The Red dots indicate the position of DF (Normal MTB geometry); the line or plane connecting the green ellipses indicate the CF.

The guide being the extended leg with heel on pedal is identical for each.

As the seat is lowered and the crank is moved forward, the legs drop, in this case approximately 5 inches. More than enough to touch ground easily.

The other bonus is that with the hand grips set just above the knees, the rider can "pull" the grips to assert substantial leverage to the crank, and not have to stand, unless absolutely necessary.

This design is the geometry of the future. It is a wonder someone did not figure this long before.

Frankly, after having put a GEBE set-up on a cruiser, recumbent and the CF Raleigh, there is no question in my mind that this frame geometry is the best for general cruising or for those who prefer a little occasional help.

It is a shame Raleigh dropped this model.

Attachments

• CrankForward.jpg
    CrankForward.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 767
The Raleigh Gruv II Crank Forward Update

This is third spring with engine on this bike. Never made it past one year in past.

the combo works for me.

In fall, I remove motor and hang bike up. The long rear axle allows for double nutting the rear, with the mount in between the nuts.

Do the storage gas drain drill and wait for spring.

Installed engine and attached throttle cable and put a few drops of oil in plug hole and worked piston a few times.

Filled up carb and the Tanaka kicked over without a cough.

Cannot get any easier than that, No mess, no fuss. Clean and fast.

BTW, take a look at the Rans Web site. they have a couple of new bikes that look to be "freight" carriers that might be very applicable for some users who do lots of travel and camping on their bikes, but would like a motor assist on occasion with motor in front.

http://www.ransbikes.com/

it IS a shame crank-forward isn't offered in the "common" brands. it's so obviously the right geometry for a grown man.

hive's right: comfortable at-rest posture, no standing needed for power, better push applied to the pedal & excellent horizontal pull on the grips...

Cranks and Crank Forward Bikes

Hi Van and Augi,

Been showing friends Van's vids of trips in "Palin Place." They cannot believe their eyes.

Yes, Augi about Rans and CF wheels the best of both worlds. Seems fewer CFs being made lately, when opposite is best option.

Too bad Rans bikes are so spendy, but I guess they planned to cater to limited market.

I know from SR's information, their Fusion requires some work-arounds but do not know about the other models.

He is still riding it, I believe...but he commented the unsprung ride was hard on bod. That got me looking at the mountain version with shock forks and more upright. Still have not decided to buy - at $1100 plus scoots is big bike money.

Been mostly hunting steelhead but today the bike goes for run, with motor on.

Hi Bob,

I saw "your" bike, the Raleigh in a bike store in Tustin, CA recently (2010).
The owner wanted too much for it, IMO, somewhere around $400 if memory serves me. I rode it but didn't care for the feel of it.

Then, I really lucked out. I happened upon a Fuji Saratoga which is a CF bike with a step through frame. I love this bike! Only problem now is the GEBE throttle cable is too short as is the kill switch. I'm thinking about installing a brake caliper/throttle. I've never been crazy about the GEBE throttle or kill switch for that matter.

Actually, Sick Bike Parts has a rocker kill switch they say is better than the button switch. Might check into that later. Being a woman and not very knowledgeable about mechanics, etc. I'm learning with the help of people on
this board. Frankly I don't have a clue how I would install a rocker switch so for now, I'll just deal with the throttle issue.

Been fishing lately?

TL,

Mary

P.S. Sent you a PM a few days ago.

Back