For What it is Worth - Raleigh Gruv 2 CF

H

Hive

Bike is discontinued by Raleigh, with MSRP of $409 + or - a buck or so. I was put on to bike by one of our amigos here.

I found new 2006 model (Root Beer Brown) for $249 scoots via Erik's bikes in MN. He has outlets in WI.

Bike style or configuration is equal to Specialized versions and others at way lower buck and is CF also. It is perhaps best CF buy but not as good as a Rans, but then, who would motorize a $1000 Rans - besides me?

Am sure you can get other dealers to sell for lower price.

Worth it.

Nice bike; CF (Crank Forward), front suspension, decent components, 24-speed trigger Shimano shifters.

Machine is very GEBE compatable.

I put a GEBE wheel with Armadillo on rear and may put engine on tomorrow. Will post pics at some point.

Gruv 2 Pics

Need to connect throttle cable and kill button. Fasteners are hex-head SS: .25 -inch for engine strap and 5mm to fasten rack/safety bar to engine support mount.

Handle bar grips not pushed on and the Sinz brake/throttle is a bit tricky with the Quick-Fire Shimano shifters and brake levers that come with new Raleigh Gruv 2 but is comfy and well placed.

Comfort style handlebars are lowered to get grips set just above knees - ala Rans CF style - to gain leverage on inclines/hills, when not motoring, which is most of the time for me.

Fenders later, along with small screws to hook or to hold belt, when detached from drive ring, to keep from fouling spokes and axle and to look tidy.

Attachments

• Gruv21.jpg
    Gruv21.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 2,318
  • Gruv22.jpg
    Gruv22.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,563
  • Gruv24.jpg
    Gruv24.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,463
  • Gruv23.jpg
    Gruv23.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,269
Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, Steelhead.... and some people think that these bikes are an obssesion. I don't chase the steelhead anymore, but there was a time when they were the most important thing in my life.

Well I Understand

Like the fish, twice a year I take a run up the river and have a ball.

Been doing it since '83. Prefer it over hunting. No people or very few and WI's Bois Brule River is very pretty, for non Alaska river.

Wish I could ride to fish like when I was kid.

Finished bike

And new place for the kill-switch. The little wire attached to metal is ground connection when bike is chained while I am in tavern, to thwart pranksters and thieves.

Thing is the coolest bike I have motorized yet - will have to stop this habit. Not as comfy as bent, and maybe required some picky fabrication (bent was a snap to motorize) but the Guve 2 is way fun, way-way fun. Its CF feature makes it a flat-footed bike, so tall folks don't have to sit so high the balance is off and have to lean bike at stops, and so on.

Too bad it is not spring.

If you do not have one, find and buy it fast (discontinued) and get the seller to drop prices to $250 or so.

Maybe the best rig yet to use with little motor, IMHO.

Attachments

• KSwch.jpg
    KSwch.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Gruv2FinAAA.jpg
    Gruv2FinAAA.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,605
I don't know exactly how to describe the look of that bike. It looks comfortable, practical, and graceful. I think that covers most of it.

:cool:Hive, i went down to EKI CYCLERY to check out their bikes. lo and behold, there was a "root beer"-colored 2006 RALEIGH GRUV 2 on the floor. I sat on it, and liked how my feet planted flatly on the ground while sitting.
I didn't like the light-duty easy-on axles, especially the rear one.

i believe it'd make a good candidate for my MITSUBISHI 2.2hp engine and STATON gear chain. since the MITSU engine is cranking 29.5mph @ 8700 rpm on my 20" DAHON, theoretically the RALEIGH should be able to reach 41mph with the same engine/gear chain setup/rpm.

Myron

Myron

I was off hunting steelhead.

I use a GEBE rim and 9-inch axle from GEBE also, for rear wheel. I just switch it from bike to bike.

I kept the Raleigh front wheel, but may change it.

If the bike is priced right, jump on it. It is good machine and can be souped to do what you need, but is more inclined toward GEBE set-up.

Speed is not my forte, but I suppose it might approach 40, but be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back