Fork oil

peter nap

Local time
10:31 PM
I have an 07 NES, with 500 miles on it. I see some light spraying on the triple tree coming from the front fork tubes. The tubes don't seem to have enough compression and bottom out once in a while.

How much oil is supposed to be in it and what kind?

Thanks!

My service manual has that info but it is at my brothers house. Hopefully Bill Green or Quenton or MotorbikeMike can chime in with your answer.

Jim

Hi Sorry I cant find that amount and fluid weight any where hopefuly Quenton has it.If you dont hear from him tonight .call dave at whizzer tomarrow 1877-944-9937 Hope this helps Bill Green PS please post results

Hi all-
My manual says four ounces in each fork leg, and Quenton told me to use hydraulic jack oil.(available at most auto parts stores.)

Hi all-
My manual says four ounces in each fork leg, and Quenton told me to use hydraulic jack oil.(available at most auto parts stores.)

Hmmmm....I just spoke to Dave and he said hydraulic jack oil, 10W (seems light) and 3 oz max.
He suggested starting at 2 and depending on my weight and the terrain, going up from there.

Since I'm getting old and fat, I thought I'd start at 2.5 and go until it was right. Dave did say that at 3 oz, there was almost no give at all.. It could be Dave is talking about maximum useful capacity and 4 oz is maximum capacity.

I just completed a rebuild on my 1999 front forks. I installed 4 seals, 2 inner, and 2 outer [dust cover type], and put in 4 oz. of hydrauic jack oil, and my forks work better than they ever did. I removed the forks, turned upside down and drained all the oil from the tubes, before I replaced the seals. One tube had more oil than the other, most likely because only one of the seals leaked.
I think there are 2 different front forks [3 counting the Ambassador], and the 1999 is [are?] slightly different from the later versions, I know they use different seals.

You must remove the 2 large nuts [bolts] at the top of each tube to install fluid.

Have fun,
Quenton

I can't find any weights on jack oil. It just sqys "Jack Oil". Went to NAPA and the same thing. The Jack oil is pretty thin. What's the difference between Hydraulic oil and Jack oil?

Back