Forks for huffy 26"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local time
2:27 PM
So I want some suspension forks. I love the look of the springer forks especially the double. Eventually I want to add on a 500 watt front hub motor can the single and/or double springer handle beinging mounted to a motorized wheel hub?

Don't see why not as long as the axle fits in the drop outs. Usually a wheeled hub motor is wider than a standard hub, that might be your issue.

I'll tell ya couple things about my ebay springer, and you can draw your own conclusion.

One, the hub mounting sucks. I had to make some axle locks to keep the axle in place and straight (see my thread in the bike builds section). Since it uses front-facing dropouts, the wheel could easily get away from the bike. I don't know electric hubs, but I guess they use a torque arm (like on a coaster brake) to keep the hub center from rotating? If so you'd have to figure out how to mount that.

Two, with a hub brake (drum in my case but whatever) the suspension moves noticeably with the brake. A 500W motor would have more than enough torque to do this, too. It's not dangerous, but it takes some getting used to.

So I want some suspension forks. I love the look of the springer forks especially the double. Eventually I want to add on a 500 watt front hub motor can the single and/or double springer handle beinging mounted to a motorized wheel hub?
well any fork will work BUT it has to have a 1" threaded steerer.
i would recommend you buy a old rockshox fork. as it will be more comfortable than ANY cheap springer fork.
but, whatever you want, just make sure that its a 1" threaded steerer.

Make sure it is not from a girls bike they are 1" longer.........Curt

I am using a suntour xcm30 with a 1" threaded steerer. Takes rim and disc brakes. Has 100mm of suspension travel. Awesome gas and oil shocks takes all the bumps out of the road.

From what I have read though those mountain bike shocks break if I install a ehub motor? Else I would definitely just go the suntour route.

From what I have read though those mountain bike shocks break if I install a ehub motor? Else I would definitely just go the suntour route.
Do you already have a rear hub motor?
If not then I would go that route. A 1000w rear wheel is only 80$

Well I was thinking having both wheels powered would help me in snow, power out of turns on the front you know.. I'm gas motorized ATM, but would like 2 wheel drive. I road home in the snow the last 2 night's very interesting and slightly scary. A rear hub motor would only help me on take offs and uphill. It will not provide that front pull/grip that I need.
Long term I would like to jackhaft a scooter motor with the gas engine. I have seen 1 pic only of that ever done. Once jackshafted I know what I need to have wired to it to make the scooter motor act as either a helper engine or a generator, but the mechanical part of the equation I am unsure of(aka sprocket sizes needed on everything to hit the right rpm on the scooter motor which is @3k rpm when powered by gas at a steady 15 to 20 mph. I'm more in need of climbing power and pulling power than top speed. I'm thinking a My1020 or equivalent scooter motor at 36volt system would be better for this than a 48 volt system. But short term I want/need an 'all' wheel drive system for adverse driving conditions. I think a 36volt 500 watt front hub motor fits my need the best for the long term system goal and is strong enough for the short term system goal also but I would like to have a springer fork up front because I know the normal suspension shocks can and do break when motorized.
Wish they hadn't stopped the bus route after 8pm.... Last winter I could just take the bus home after work. And my F350 was basically totaled last winter and is 2 wheel drive only.

https://visforvoltage.org/forum/9482-full-hybrid-electricgas-motored-bicycle-pics
IMG_5135 (1).JPG

This guy did it 8 years ago... SBP needs to make this a legit system...
He didn't capitalize on it by setting it up to also charge the batteries. That's actually pretty simple to do as solar/wind/hydro charge controllers would work perfectly for this sort of system. Just wire a 2 way or 2 kill switchs (between the battery and motor controller and between the motor and charge controller) so you choose if the power is coming from a motor controller or going to the charge controller. A 36 volt 500 watt scooter motor and a 500 watt 36 volt front hub motor all with the China girl is some extreme MPG... and all the power you need to climb hills or have some serious top speed. All in how you gear and ride it I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back