Found a Cool Engine. What Now?

6 or 12 volt at 100a? LED's don't use much power and are super bright. I'd suggest finding housings you like and build an led cluster for them at the correct draw so there's enough left for ignition and your EFI.

All the laws I've read, I'll say that with confidence because a district court judge told me that as I was fighting a ticket for driving on a suspended. And I know that is true for AZ, CA, CO, TX and OR

Won't you still need a small battery to power the efi while starting till the stator spins up?

I'd look into making a handle shifter for it since its illegal to have a manual shifting MB in all 50 states. If a motorcycle cop sees your foot hit a shifter lever and hears the rpm change you may be in for a bad day, not to mention your 31cc's too big on motor size.

I think its gonna be hard to keep it under 20mph with all that power a hand! Good luck with your build, and watch out for the fuzz!

The most feasible idea for a handle shifter is an electrically controlled unit. Pingel's electronic shifters run around $600 though. Scott's fabbing up a swing-out peg so that I could pedal in between shifts. In my opinion, some type of shifter is really essential for a reliable, comfortable commuter. A SBP Shifter might put you in the same area legally as an internal transmission. The worst case scenario is that I will have to register the bike as a motorized cycle. I am equipping it with everything needed to be registered (and more) in case.

If I need to get her registered, I will consider throwing on the XR100 engine. Then, I could always hop it up to 120cc and get 12hp+.

After doing more research, I've discovered that the XR80 will hit around 12,000 rpm in slightly modified form. 10,000 rpm with stock cdi, etc. A guy on the thumper talk forum posted a dyno graph showing an XR100 engine hitting 14,000 rpm producing over 12hp! I knew that there was a benefit to this ohc engine. ;)

My main goal here to to build something that is as reliable and nearly as comfortable as my car. All while keeping the looks somewhat period-correct lol. Think fun board-track style scooter replacement.

Anyway, I don't believe that Texas limits motor bicycles to 20mph. They just need to be kept to roads where the speed limit is 35mph or less. I feel that the 20mph limit is quite dumb considering that most pedal bikes can exceed that.

I looked at headlight options and ordered a 5.5" motorcycle headlight. I am going to install a PlasmaGlow igniter LED. Total light output should be over 1500 lumens. http://www.plasmaglow.com/led-igniters-headlight-conversion-kit/ I am also installing a 1934 Ford tail light triggered by brake switch with license plate lighting just in case.

See this wiring diagram I whipped up as well:

Wiring Diagram.jpg

I am installing a real keyed ignition switch and a PC-8 fuse box. When the switch is turned on, the EFI kit will receive power. This could double as a good theft deterrent.

Finally, I received my Ricky Stator rectifier/ DC regulator in the mail today along with my 3700mah nimh battery!

rectifier and battery.jpg

If your prepared to register as a moped then I'd do it. It shouldn't be this way but cops like to mess with us every chance they get. I like the build though good job thinking outside the box.

I never keep to the 20 mph limit I always pedal fast when I see a cop though. At 20 my motor is just barely above the 2500 rpm idle!

Back