Found That Picture!

Hal the Elder

Local time
2:07 AM
Can't Find That Picture...

HEY...

There's a picture somewhere on this Forum (I think) of a middle-aged man riding a Whizzer along an open road through the countryside, with the bike loaded down with saddlebags, with the caption saying he's headed on a long road trip.

I've got to find that post, because that bike has something on it that I want to order from Mike or Quenton!

I'll explain:

In the years 1948 thru 1951 (before I got my first car at age 16 in 1952), we kids rode stripped-down Schwinn bikes. We removed or bobbed the fenders, removed the chain guard, the headlight if any, and all the other "goody-goody" sissy stuff that we wouldn't be caught dead having on our bikes. The Girls rode bikes with all that stuff, but not us!

But above all, we removed those corny, dumb-looking stock handlebars (like the ones on the Whizzers), and put on RISERS!

Whenever we saw a kid riding a "full dress" Schwinn with all the trappings, including Lights, Horn, Mud Flaps, etc, we'd usually knock him off his bike and rough him up a bit. He would then either avoid our "bicycle rat pack" or learn to strip down his bike too!

This Whizzer I've seen somewhere on this forum had the exact handlebars that we used to install on our "killer" bikes, but I've never been able to find them in bike shops or among the dozens of bars I've seen in online catalogs.

How I drool when I see those vintage bars...there are no bars as cool as those, and I want a pair for Oscar!

HAL

Last edited:
Do you remember any details of the bike? What was the part you wanted?
Just trying to help...
Rif

No, Kilroy...

...those bars are just as dumb-looking!

The bars on that road-cruising Whizzer are graceful and heroic at the same time...exactly like the bars we installed 57-60 years ago. There was nothing like them!

The Niagara Bicycle Works and all the other big bike parts companies came close on a couple pairs out of the dozens they had in stock, but nothing like those bars in the picture!

I'll keep looking for that picture post!
HAL

I Apologize!

HEY KILROY...

I'm sorry...I did not intend to disparage your offering of help...it's just that no handlebars I've ever seen were as cool as those bars we had in the old days AND the bars on that elusive picture! I'll keep looking!

I've GOT to have bars like that on my MotoredBike before I die!

HAL

These?

similar to these kustomized units? And don't insult my bike...:D
Good Luck finding what you need...

Attachments

• Broken%20down%20in%20WA1.jpg
    Broken%20down%20in%20WA1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 254
  • Rif Addams Fireball 5.jpg
    Rif Addams Fireball 5.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 264
  • Rif Addams Fireball 5_2.jpg
    Rif Addams Fireball 5_2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Dead man's basin, MT 07.jpg
    Dead man's basin, MT 07.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 240
HEY KILROY...

I'm sorry...I did not intend to disparage your offering of help...it's just that no handlebars I've ever seen were as cool as those bars we had in the old days AND the bars on that elusive picture! I'll keep looking!

I've GOT to have bars like that on my MotoredBike before I die!

HAL

No offense taken Hal, I posted that tongue-in-cheek. I've been looking for a good opportunity to use that "pile of poo" emoticon. :D

These?

similar to these kustomized units? And don't insult my bike... :D
Good Luck finding what you need... I'm sure they're out there.

Attachments

• Broken%20down%20in%20WA1.jpg
    Broken%20down%20in%20WA1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 206
  • Dead man's basin, MT 07.jpg
    Dead man's basin, MT 07.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Rif Addams Fireball 5.jpg
    Rif Addams Fireball 5.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Rif Addams Fireball 5_2.jpg
    Rif Addams Fireball 5_2.jpg