FOUR problems on my new chinese 2-stroke

Thanks for the interesting post. I'm up to clutch adjustment myself and it is just one more thing to know or look for, a little round ball. Hope I have one but haven't seen it yet..

Think of that ball bearing in this "light":
A manual motor car's clutch assembly has 3 basic components,
Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate and Thrust Bearing, usualy comes in a kit when replacing all 3.
Try working the clutch without the thrust bearing. You will have sprinkles of metal and noises in various octaves that would make sounds rather interesting to listen to. A "fork on road" !

Well, on a smaller scale, that's what that bearing on the MB is, a "thrust bearing".

Ok. I am going to sound like a complete idiot, but here it goes. I took the bike to the guy that built it and within 2 minutes he found the problem. Seems like I wasn't riding the bike correctly. He told me that when starting the motor I need to peddle, let go of the clutch, and KEEP PEDDLING, until the motor completely takes over. What I have been doing wrong is popping the clutch and just taking off letting the motor take the full torque of my weight and starting off by itself. The result was a bucking bar severely worn out with a HUGE divot on the end where the ball bearing would be. Resulting in a very short bucking bar. So, hard lesson learned, I rode today doing exactly as he told me and it runs like a dream. He also told me to save on wear and tear to do the same with full stops at a stop sign and starting off again. Thanks everyone for your help and hopefully anyone that reads this in the future will not make the same mistake I did.

I disagree with what he is telling you.
I NEVER pedal any of my bikes.
I coast down my driveway and pop the clutch to start the engine.
Then i take off like a motorcycle WITHOUT peddling....EVER.
Been doing it this way for 3 years now and not one single problem.

I disagree with what he is telling you.
I NEVER pedal any of my bikes.
I coast down my driveway and pop the clutch to start the engine.
Then i take off like a motorcycle WITHOUT peddling....EVER.
Been doing it this way for 3 years now and not one single problem.

I can somewhat agree with you. The only thing that somewhat made sense is that I am a bigger guy and I kinda think the fact that the bike has to lug my big butt has to be more wear on it than a normal guy. Also before doing it the new way, the clutch whined and sounded stressed when I started off. I'm just hoping that I can keep it going longer than a day.

one thing ive been doing to start my bike, only because I dont want to roll down driveway, then part way down street since im on a hill
is to use a jack stand under the center of the pedals
you have to be careful and aware of its position but I use one foot and start to spin pedals then release the clutch so I get about 1/2 turn at a time
Takes a few times mostly because I dont time it perfectly
Then it starts, forgot to say I do this when its cold or when working on it
I dont want to have to turn around on my hill and try to get back home to let it warm up
and I like to warm up my engines for a few minutes while I put my gear on

I have ordered a center stand so hopefully that may work to start it on the stand

it may be my weight but I dont dare accelerate like a motorcycle and rely on the clutch only
I have it stuck in my mind to pedal a little first

Back