Four stroke motors

Accender

Local time
5:51 PM
Hi guys,
I have been reading the forum for a week or two and have noticed that most
are running 2 smoke chinese motors. It seems bolts hardware etc need to be
upgraded. I was looking at this sites offerings of a four stroke. But don't want
the same issues to arise. (Happy time and all) lol that made me laugh.
http://www.bikeengines.com/info.htm
They are very expensive and I am not rich. But I will be comunting 20 miles
a day (round trip) and dont want quality probs. Any feedback on the robin
engine kit would be great. I just dont want to waist the little money I have.

edit: Also the drive system pulls on the spokes, that kinda scares me.
I guess I'm looking for info on the total "kit" quality,

Thanks All

A

Last edited:
I haven't bought a kit from GEBE yet, but you shouldn't need to replace anything in their kits. GEBE is considered the luxury kit around here... it's pretty much the tops.

Good choice!

I have 3 Robin 35cc's. One as a test engine, one friction drive, and one coming belt drive (GEBE) Great quality engine. Little work horses. 4 stroke, easy starting. I dont own a Tanaka 2 stroke engine but I hear there great also. Ive owned plenty Happy Times, what can I say. Fun kits, not always reliable when you need then to be.

Rs 35

My GEBE RS35 kit has been 100pct reliable for many months. My only reliability problem is with the bike itself. IE Tires, Brakes. The key to the GEBE systems reliability is the simplicity. A cheap bike will fall apart around that engine due to the speeds you are running but if you take care of those Robins engines, they will last a long time.

Dave Staton's kits are also top-notch. Dependable, high-quality (non-china) motors, and quality hardware. I've bought two friction drives kits (one with Honda, one with mitsubishi,) plus other hardware, and have had no problem other than a defective kill switch, which he replaced. These motors do NOT need a lot of tinkering. They just run, and run, and run. Like the old Timex commercial, "they take a licking, and keep on ticking."

Last edited:
Dave Staton's kits are also top-notch. Dependable, high-quality (non-china) motors, and quality hardware. I've bought two friction drives kits (one with Honda, one with mitsubishi,) plus other hardware, and have had no problem other than a defective kill switch, which he replaced. These motors do NOT need a lot of tinkering. They just run, and run, and run. Like the old Timex commercial, "they take a licking, and keep on ticking."
Good point man,i like David & he sells alot of great gear & he's trustworthy.

Accender I have a Happy time and a 4 stroke Titan. Both run on sprockets that bolt on to the spokes. Contrary to popular opinion this is actually a very good connection. Get a 36 spoke rim for the least headaches.
I do like my 4 stroke better than my 2 stroke for it's a lot smoother.
But I ride my 2 stroke almost as much cause it's manly,yo.
If money is tight,you can get by with a happy time 2 stroke frame mount. Not only is it the cheapest way to go if you take care of it you can make these things last.
You can pay more and will generally get a better more reliable deal. You get what you pay for,but the Happy Time has worth.

If you go with a gebe kit, be sure to buy a 12ga spoked rear wheel, steel (about 35-40 bucks). Doing your homework before buying can save you a ton of money and headaches. I started with a happy time and spent lots of money and energy till cutting my losses and going with the gebe. Even then I spent lots more money on wheels until finding this forum and figuring it out. Check out rack mount and go a good ways back to Bamas posts to find good , economical solutions to wheels and stuff.

Statons chain driven kits use a double freewheeling hub if you are worried about spoke issues. He uses only American and Japanese parts and engines and everything seems well built and reliable. The only drawback is you'll either have to get a rim laced to the hub or pay him extra to do it. With the exception of the NuVinci kits all the other prices do not include a complete rear wheel. You'll have to ask him. Well worth it if you have the $buxx$

Last edited by a moderator:
Back