frame Fractures and failures

247Jude

Local time
6:40 PM
I am at my wits end, I have had five frame fractures and failures. I have tried bushings inbeteen the motor and frame. To have the bike shake off the fenders and shearing mount bolts.

I have also tried a chrome alloy frame. Alluminum frame. Oversized tube frame. And a old small tube with gussets. It may have to do with the fact that I am about 265 lbs and I commute about 40 miles a day on rough northern roads. I would like to try something made of a thicker gage. Steel the thickness of alumimum. But where to get it?
Witz end!

I've only seen frame failures on bikes with frame mounted engines. The vibrations are just too much. Vtec is right, try a rack mounted rig. You'll be surprised how much smoother and quieter they are and you'll have way less mechanical problems.

Where do the frames fail, is it the same place everytime? If so maybe some reinforcement in that area would help.
I worry about this a lot myself because I weigh in at a bit over 300 pounds and the thought of the frame breaking while I am riding really scares me. I dont ride every day but I do want to take some long trips on my bike and want to get one I am confident will not break and cause me to miss my 51st birthday party. :)
Tim

I'd be surprised if my frame mounted Honda ruined a frame- smoooooooth.

I was talking about the no name 2 strokes that just about rattle the marrow from your bones, not high quality frame mounted engines.

These bicycles have weight limitations. I think for the most part it is about 240 lbs. It all depends on the bicycle. If you include the motor kit that weighs about 25 lbs, now the Gross Vehicle Weight of the bicycle drops further. I would think that anytime you weigh above the maximum allowable for your bicycle, you will risk frame failure much more than a bicycle ridden by someone below the weight limit.

No offense meant but, a bicycle is a great tool to use to loose weight....if you pedal regularly. :D

Weight could come into play but IMO with the HT engines it's more the severe vibration from unbalanced crankshafts that gets focused onto a small area where they mount.

If you're considering buying a new bike you could buy a worksman bikehttp://www.worksman.com/. Their industrial bicycles made with stronger components than normal bikes.

If you so disired to you could also look into building your own bike. Then you would be able to choose whatever material thickness you wanted.

Back