Frame Material Welding

YetiWoodz

Local time
8:18 AM
I might turn my cruiser frame into a stretched cruiser in the future as well as reinforce it. Its a steel frame huffy cranbrook. What tubes/pipes can I use to weld on to extend it? Or at least what type of material..... carbon, stainless, what grade?

Also, if I do my research, use the right tools, my welds are good, and I take my time, can this be an ok option for motorized use? I would love to had modified my own frame. I'm tall and most bikes don't fit me well either.

I might turn my cruiser frame into a stretched cruiser in the future as well as reinforce it. Its a steel frame huffy cranbrook. What tubes/pipes can I use to weld on to extend it? Or at least what type of material..... carbon, stainless, what grade?

Also, if I do my research, use the right tools, my welds are good, and I take my time, can this be an ok option for motorized use? I would love to had modified my own frame. I'm tall and most bikes don't fit me well either.
I can't quite recall but if you look up building go carts, there is a certain steel they use. I bet it would work perfect for what you want to do.

You don't want anything high carbon, it has to be annealed to be strong after welding. Do you have a metal dealer in your area? Go talk with the boys there, I'm sure you'll get some good advice. Ideally to stretch your frame you want some tube that will fit over the existing tubes then weld.

I use a thin wall mild steel for bikes. These things aren't rockets. Just make sure you reference the tube strength/wall thickness before you build. Little search online you will find calculators to help design your build. I'd have to look, but I believe I was using .09" round tube hot rolled mild steel on the last one I scratched up. Tacked up nice with just a FCAW. An when using tube, just get a tube bender. By god 10 seconds of work vs 2 hours of screwing up a tube with heat, sand and a hammer and vice. ehh.

Back