freewheel drive hub both sides

N

noendo

ok i have just been looking into the idea of using a rear single speed disc hub to mount my left hand sprocket which seems fairly straight forward.
it would make sense if the engine powered left hand sprocket could freewheel to avoid unnecessary ware and tear. this would be possible if you used a bmx flip flop hub that has thread on both sides. infact one side uses a smaller diameter that would allow you to run a 13 or 14 tooth right hand freewheel. the left side you could get hold of an 18 tooth and bolt/weld your choice of sprocket to.
i know for sure that you can get an 18t left hand freewheel made buy ACS.
not sure if this has been done before but it should work.

just found alot of info on this from the search, no need to continue this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you find the information I would like a wheel with free wheels on both sides.
Terry

You will have to manufacture one for yourself because freewheels only freewheel in one direction and while you may have threading on the left side to mount to the freewheel will only freewheel in the direction you would need it to drive.

Alaskavan, tell us about that hub. It looks kinda cheap. Has it held up? Does the brake work well?

Where did you find the information I would like a wheel with free wheels on both sides.
Terry

go to the staton site , He sells hubs with the appropriate left and right hand threads to accept both left hand and right hand freewheel sprockets, which he also stocks.

I was hoping for a personal review.
A. It's cheap Chinese junk that detonated in no time.
B. It's worth every penny. I beat the **** out of it and it's still going strong

It hasn't detonated, and I've put thousands of miles on it averaging about 35 mph. I'm glad I bought 2. I will find a use for the other one. Better?:D

Back