Freewheel removal

Fabian - thanks for doing this. The only thing we do different is use a 6-point socket or box end wrench (spanner). But if the croissant wrench works for you, have at it. Also, if you have a sturdy post you can rig a holding jig for the crank.

I would normally lay the pedal crank arm horizontally in the vice, giving more clamping force on the arm, but to make it easier to view both sides of the freewheel assembly, i set things up vertically.

It wouldn't take long for a person to see that the vertical method won't sufficiently hold the pedal crank arm in place, and just slip out of the vice; attached to a home workbench.
I used a crescent wrench (known as a "shifter" in Australia) because most people wouldn't have a box end wrench (known as a "ring spanner" in Australia) of that size in their tool kit.

I agree that a proper shop jig would make things easier.

mmmmm, croissant...

theyre called shifters cus everytime you go to use them, theyve shifted themselves. :giggle:

i myself, replace the "f" with a T cus thats what they give me... ;)

still dont really understand where the "crescent" name comes from. somewhere i have a spanner thats actually shaped like a crescent, or half circle, but thats not a crescent wrench? go figure...

bow where was i? oh. yes! croissant! a choccy one!

Back