Freewheeling for a trike and idea vetting

R

rescue341

hey all

so ive been resherching and planing for my motorized trike build and i have a few things i wanted to run by yall. The first is a question about freewheeling. one of the plans i am looking at now would have the bike chain and the motor drive train connected to the same set of sprockets and so in this case freewheeling would be very nice altho pedals spinning at 20mph would be rather exciting. My question is do they make a freewheel device that can be installed on the pedal side as opposed to the wheel side?

My next question is just getting yalls thoughts on potential plans

so plan one is to take a single speed bike frame and attach it to a 7 speed trike conversion. Then i would install either a 80cc flying horse or a 80cc zelda runing the drive chain to one of the larger gears on the 7 speed axle(to give more torque going up the many hills in the area). I would then have the standard pedal drive chain ran to a medium gear (this is why i was interested in a flywheel). Then I would just be adding extras such as a dynamo and lights and reflective strips for night rides.

plan two is taking the same single speed frame but attaching it to a single speed trike conversion that has a short chain runing from the trike axle to a hub that then has a sprocket where one would attach the pedal drive chain. In this plan I would simply attach the motor drive chain to this sprocket and not have the pedals connected at all. I would just carry the pedal chain and tools with me on the trike so incase something goes wrong i can swap it on and pedal home. I would then do the same lights and such as in the other plan.

I had decided to go with a conversion kit instead of a outright trike becuase it allows me to mount the engine with out major modification and i decided on a chain driving motor as opposed to friction drive so that it would be usable on damp conditions

Back