Freezing temps & pre-mix fuel...(intake gasket screw-up)

I was taught by an 80 somethig year old man when I was a kid, that a file is a milling machine in the right hands. As part of his apprenticeship, he was given a lumpy piece of metal and told to file it into a cube with tolerances of +- 0.003" He said that he had to do that before getting to learn to operate machine tools.

psuggmog said:
The length of the intake passage can effect engine performance. I would imagine that ours are not the optimum length.

hi psugg, what do you think the optimum length might be? do you think a couple inches longer would hurt or help?

Dave

my screw up is a lesson well-learned, the symptoms in my OP indicates an intake problem & may likely be the gasket.

srdavo said:
psuggmog said:
The length of the intake passage can effect engine performance. I would imagine that ours are not the optimum length.

hi psugg, what do you think the optimum length might be? do you think a couple inches longer would hurt or help?

Dave

i think length and type of metal have alot to do with how your motor runs. i was running a 1 inch flipped intake that was steel and changed it to a standard alum intake and it took away some speed. but on my other bike im running a standard steel intake and it runs fine. i think because the steel intake is smoother on the inside it has a little to do with it.

Back