Fresh oil on top of cylinder head

Joast

Local time
10:15 PM
Just the part of the head that touches the gasket, we usually sand them on a flat surface so we can tell they're flat and not cast poorly.

Doesn't take much a few swipes and you'll be able to tell if it's flat, I've had one that rocked on the sand paper before I sanded. That's a bad casting.
Now I get it. Thank you. john

Wrench

Local time
8:15 PM
Just the part of the head that touches the gasket, we usually sand them on a flat surface so we can tell they're flat and not cast poorly.

Doesn't take much a few swipes and you'll be able to tell if it's flat, I've had one that rocked on the sand paper before I sanded. That's a bad casting.

Not trying to hijack this post, Just wanted to show @Chainlube something

I wish resurfacing my Whizzer heads was that easy There's alot of surface to sand on a Whizzer head
As you can see I shave em down to increase the compression

That extra S/P hole is for a compression release button. That was used on the Ambassador, It has a starter
For my NE 5 I just plug one of the holes with a bolt, NE5 has a compression release lever on the valve cover
Or for that extra hole I could get a duel coil and use 2 S/P

That Ambassador head is nicknamed the Block Head because it's thick and has short cooling fins

DSCF7389.JPG

Chainlube

Local time
Not trying to hijack this post, Just wanted to show @Chainlube something

I wish resurfacing my Whizzer heads was that easy There's alot of surface to sand on a Whizzer head
As you can see I shave em down to increase the compression

That extra S/P hole is for a compression release button. That was used on the Ambassador, It has a starter
For my NE 5 I just plug one of the holes with a bolt, NE5 has a compression release lever on the valve cover
Or for that extra hole I could get a duel coil and use 2 S/P

That Ambassador head is nicknamed the Block Head because it's thick and has short cooling fins

View attachment 181397
If you're trying to mill it down, yes, then that is a lot of sanding. If you're checking for square, it's still a couple swipes. I bet it didn't need any.

Joast

Local time
10:15 PM
Just a quick follow up question. The nuts on the head studs just had 1 lock washer under each nut. Is that ok?
I see some stud kits also have flat washers as well. What is best as far as head washers or does it matter? Thanks John

Wrench

Local time
If you're trying to mill it down, yes, then that is a lot of sanding. If you're checking for square, it's still a couple swipes. I bet it didn't need any.

To shave - I use a bench top belt sander then finish on plate glass
Too bad the Belt sander can't get em perfectly flat. I gotta do that by hand
Resurfacing a head that's been used for about 1K miles takes about 1/2 hr
Rub Rub Rub, good thing I've had alot of practice rubbing one out :ROFLMAO: