friction drive problem

revelstone

Local time
2:07 AM
ok here's the rub. or the lack of it. this picture shows what i've done, but the darn thing keeps slipping on the spindle inside and it goes like molasas uphill in january. it's june. it's great on the flats. had it up to 25 on the speedometer. just dogs down going up hill. and not that big of a hill. any suggestions on how to make it faster? in 17.jpg you can see i have a rubber roller from a freeze plug for your car. it is one and 1/4 inch diameter. put inside the bmx bike peg and the whole things is tightened with a 3/8-24 nut. help???

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 599
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 681
In the pics the only thing I can see is a fuel tank, is the motor that small? What size is it? Maybe you need some more oomph.

friction drive

maybe this will help. i haven't given up yet. it might be too much me and not enough engine.:confused:

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 543
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 550
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 505
Im not a rocket scientist but Id say some more oomph is in order.

solution

a pic is worth a thousand words. that's JB Weld with sand from my backyard mixed in. had to get under the porch to get it. any way i let the whole thing dry 24 hours after smoothing the mixture on the BMX bike peg. did 15 or 16 up hill, and 26 down hill. had to back off the throttle on that one. started scaring myself. thanks for all the help. by the way, what you think of my next project? thinking chain drive all the way.

Attachments

• !cid_231.jpg
    !cid_231.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 538
  • !cid_393.jpg
    !cid_393.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 536
smooth

i was thinking about that. sure gonna hate taking that back wheel off. been on there forever. maybe longer. but i did find a slight cut in the sidewall today. cant let that go on forever.:)

so u just mixed JB Weld and sand together and put that all over the spindle then let it dry to become almost sand paper? My spindle is wearing out and this seems like a good idea, i was thinking of putting a rubber tube over the spindle but this seems cheaper lol.

yeah it feels like sand paper. really hard sand paper. used maybe half a tube of each of the small size seperate tubes. had them in my shed for a couple years. it's warm here in utah so as i mixed the tubes on a piece of cardboard i added about a tablespoon of sand. mix it good and apply it sort of evenly around the spindle. didn't worry to much about exactness. just sort of even so your engine dont bounce up and down. then let it dry 24 hours. i set mine on the hood of my isuzu trooper and left in the sun and overnight. rode the bike after about 30 hours of drying time and the difference was fantastic. i guess if i'm guessing its about 4:1 ratio if 4:1 = JB WELD:sand

Back